an LEV build by b264
click to animate
This build has been in some sort of “done” state for a few months now, but I’ve been tweaking things and I think this may be close to the final form.
The first iteration had 63mm motors but that just didn’t work with the 78mm wheels no matter how I arranged it. I’ve got the motor can ground clearance up to 31mm from 8mm in the first iteration, helped greatly by the switch to 50mm motors.
So what’s my favorite thing about this board?
That’s definitely the ride. It rides like a downhill longboard. It also leans over REALLY far. I can make a complete U-turn within normal lane markings (12’ / 365cm around here) which is almost scraping the enclosure on the ground. For not having a tail, that’s important to me. This can even make 90° turns inside hallways in high-rises.
Also water. This was my first experiment with butyl tape and it’s wonderful stuff. I didn’t even waterproof the inside, and this is the board I grab when it’s raining. Butyl tape is a magical thing.
What’s in it
The heart and soul of this build is its deck and wheels. That’d be the impossible-to-source Rayne Demonseed 44" deck (Satanic Panda variant) and Venom Magnum dongs, 74A.
Parts list (source)
- Rayne Demonseed 44" Satanic Panda deck (ENPM)
- Venom Magnum Mach 1 78mm 74A 70CP wheels (ENPM)
- Bear 52° RKP front truck (ENPM)
- Caliber 44° rear baseplate (ENPM)
- @Boardnamics 220mm rear hanger (ENPM)
- Boardnamics 50mm motor mounts and precision clamps (ENPM)
- stock Rayne griptape (for now?) (ENPM)
- Bones Reds bearings (Amazon)
- @glyphiks enclosure (ENPM)
- Riser lights from Metroboard, “2W” model, white and red colors (Metroboard)
- custom 10S6P semi-flexible 30Q battery by @b264 (recycled from an older build)
- @torqueboards TB6 ESC (esk8.news)
- enertion VESC-X ESC (ENPM)
- @moon Magnum pulleys, 33T variant (ENPM)
- Racerstar 200Kv 5065 motors (ENPM)
- Mini Remote (ENPM)
- metr Pro, PCB version (ENPM)
- NRF51822 bluetooth module (ENPM)
- @3DServisas Fatboy X Plates (ENPM)
It’s got two charge ports, a 5.5mm x 2.1mm barrel jack (Amazon) on a 10A fuse – and a Reverse 5.5mm x 2.5mm Bird/Lime/Segway style charge port (AliExpress) on a 10A fuse. Yes, you can charge it with a Lime scooter charger. And a Metroboard/Evolve/enertion charger. Simultaneously, if desired
Enough with the words, and in with the photos.
the Magnum Seed click to play ►
That tiny XT30 loopkey on the front of the enclosure turns off the lighting system (when pulled) for Stealth / Max Range mode.
the control panel
the Stealth Mode key
the goodness of MR60 connectors and epoxy
And yes, those two XT30 plugs that are partly unplugged, they do that everytime I push them in, so I just leave them that way now. They have never come unplugged. If they do, I will redesign that part. (likely means putting a toothpick inside shrinkwrap around the wire) These pics are right after a ride and how the board looks in Real Life and not marketing materials.
When this one gets dirty I just hose it off in the car wash.
that’s a voltmeter you can see through the enclosure
glyphiks enclosure goodness
Rayne factory griptape, which might be short-lived
the BMS, with a little coercion in-progress