Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Hey guys, running into some weird issues on my 4wd build. I’ve got two stormcores 60d+ connected via CAN. I’ve read that with firmware 5.2 there are bugs with detection over Can, so I did motor detection and set-up on each vesc separately, with ppm set only on the master one. At first it looked like everything was okay, motors spins, detects, all good. I connect the can cable and all spind, but some looks like they go way slower. I ran detection again to be sure, a’d I realised on each stormcore, one motor is detected as sensorless each time. I’ve made sure the sensor wires are plugged in and not defective. I’m going to try run manual detection for the sensors tomorrow, but anyone has seen something like this? Also on a different issue I updated a flux motion board to fw 5.2 a’d upon running motor detection, it showed one motor as sensorless again, could it be a 5.2 bug? Any insight appreciated

I’ve had great success with this stuff. Been using it to make fiberglass enclosures. Havent skinned a deck with it but have skinned other things. Holds up well.

Also have this stuff on a table that sits outside year round (hot summers and very cold winters, rain shine and snow) and its yet to fade or crack or anything.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00S9R8E8Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

2 Likes

I’ve had this issue on 2 focbox can-ed together. What fixed it in my case was just going into the vesc tool, selecting the side that is running sensorless and selecting it to run sensored. Wrote settings and was good to go.

1 Like

I’ve heard good things about Raka epoxies. Several different resin/hardener combos to choose from. 127 resin and 606 hardener should be a good combo with a working time of 25 minutes.

They also have a sample kit with 12 oz of epoxy and a few extras for $23. If you’re careful not to waste too much epoxy you should be able to do a board with that much.

1 Like

Is it for sale? The right?

Drill/cut/abrade a hole in the enclosure, insert male side (with prongs, not with holes) and epoxy it through the enclosure. Solder wires on the back of it to the ESC.

2 Likes

Talking about the truck?

Alright, thank you. Seems a lot better price for both. Does it tell you how much to add? I know the West Systems has a measurement of how much to add with each coat

No, the right. Is it for sale?

Oh I was saying the person was correct. Not selling anything

That would be “You’re right” but you said “Your right” which implies there is a right that’s owned by him. I was asking it the right was for sale.

I mispronounced the “your” didn’t realize I made a spelling mistake :sweat_smile:

All the Raka epoxies are 2 parts resin to 1 part hardener, except the special 631 hardener, which is 5:1.
Measurements are by volume.
They sell dispensing pumps for ease of measurement if you’re interested.

1 Like

I suggest getting a scale and measuring by weight.
It’s a real shame to do a bunch of work and have your resin not cure properly from bad mixing/mixing ratio.

1 Like

The Raka epoxies are designed to be mixed by volume, not by weight. Sure, you can calculate based on specific gravity, but it won’t give you nice round numbers. It’s easier (and cheaper if you don’t already have a scale) to just get some dispensing pumps and go with e.g. two pumps of resin and one pump of hardener.

The resins have a s.g. of 1.12-1.14, and the hardeners have a s.g. of 0.96.

2 Likes

I got a scale. So I would need to put certain amounts in a cup, epoxy + hardener based on the length of the deck?

Good to know, my advice came from the 2 resins I’ve used and both(west systems and SystemThree) list a by volume mixing as well as a by weight ratio.

1 Like

I got a scale. Will get the nozzles also so I won’t have to pour it in

The weights are close enough that you could probably get away with a 2:1 mass ratio and still be within the margin for error, but I’m just going by what their website says.

1 Like

Pretty much. It’s better to mix too much and have some left over than to run out halfway through a coat and have to mix up a fresh batch. I’d guess somewhere between 3 and 6 oz per coat depending on how thick and how absorbent the carbon is.

2 Likes