Noob here moving forward on build n totally could use some advice here...bms, layout, etc.

Sorry about the Noob questions that follow but would like to hear any advice, thoughts, expertise, etc…

My battery is pulling 43.8 V and the cells were a bit old measuring at 3.2 V ea. approx., so the voltage and series soldering is good I’m taking it, the wires can’t be pulled off the battery when yanming on them pretty hard. it’s a 12S4P Molicel p42’s…

My bms is an llt with a bluetooth module I’m planning on double stick tapping to the side wall near the bms, the power button will be on the side wall also. Should they be on opposite sides to help with communication interference? is that a thing…lol! Should the little Bluetooth module be left covered with the plastic as shipped? thought i read to leave it somewhere, seems good for protection? The wiring shown will be cleaner but i do have a 90 degree bend planned after batter to bms for attaching the harness. Ok?

Is the ESC in about the right place to run wires to the motors?

Should the bms n ESC be double stick taped to the enclosure as planned, also thinking battery should be to enclosure then with the foam spaces to thelp take up vibration n fill enclosure volume up? Or Should the battery be double stick taped to the bottom of board with foam spacer to enclosure for vibrations?

I haven’t ordered trucks, motors, or wheels yet…thinking about the torque board direct =drive maybe? if available? Your Thoughts on motor’s, trucks, wheels? I plan on street traditional Poly wheels, Torque or Boa probably. 190 o2 170KV on motors, could go witherway, but know 170 would still be plenty fas n maybe more resilient to heat?

Before you decide on mounting, figure out cable management.

I personally think it’s horrible to route ANY wires between the enclosure and deck. So where will they be? I would figure that out, before you place any components.

1 Like

Don’t assume this. First of all, 3.2 x 12 = 38.4V so one or more cells are at a higher voltage than 3.2. What you should be doing after completing your series connections is starting at batt neg and progressively checking the voltage across the entire battery noting the increase in voltage as you move forward. Once you wire the balance leads, you should do this again from the balance harness to make sure you’ve wired it correctly before plugging it in to the bms.

I’m always preferential to heavy duty velcro for securing components.

No, that won’t matter.

Yes it should.

This will also be fine but you should give the wiring harness more slack than shown in this picture.

Components can be attached to either the enclosure or the board. My personap preference is the enclosure. Foam is always good to manage vibrations. A couple mm of closed cell foam between the battery and wtv u mount it on is a great idea. Again, velcro is better imo.

1 Like

My cells were 3.6 or 3.7 V ea. not the 3.2V I noted and missed when reading through my message. Also missed checking the voltage as you mentioned and will be do, totally spaced that important step and check!

thanks so much for your advice n help!!

1 Like