esk8.news esk8 calc donate now

[Wiki] Connectors and plug types

From battery to vesc…

• XT90 – rated for max 90A, but can support more quite well.
    On the left is the female connector, on the right is the male. (Determined by the metal bits, not the plastic housing)
    XT-90-Connector3

• XT90-S (antispark)
    Same as XT90, but has a resistor built in which gets bridges the gap first, allowing your ESC capacitors to slowly charge up (without a spark), which then gets bypassed once you plug the connector in deep enough. No spark is safer for your electronics, and doesn’t wear down the connector!

• XT60 – rated for max 60A
    On the left is the male connector, on the right is the female.
    2158-000-500x700

• XT30 – rated for max 30A
    Almost as small as a JST connector, but can support far more current! Can be soldered to up to a 16 gauge wire!

• AS150 – ???

• QS8-S – rated for max 200A, anti-spark.

For the charging port

• DC5521 aka 5.5x2.1mm
    417mk9WTAtL

This type of female port is only rated up to 2A. I (@rusins) burned one with a 5A charger :frowning_face:

But these ones are rated up to 5A:

• 5.5x2.5mm
    This female port from electricboardsolutions claims to be rated for up to 4A.
    DC-in-Power-connector-Waterproof-Panel-mount_480x480

• Xt90s and XT60s are also often used. Make sure not to mix it up with your loop key port!!! Always put a fuse in series with your charging port to avoid such disasters.

From the ESC to motors

5.5mm bullet connectors

4mm bullet connectors

10awg wire

12awg wire (awg means thickness lower=thicker)

MR60

MT60

MR30

MT30

EC5-3

Jst cables (hall sensors and lipo balance cable)

Jst-ph 2mm pitch

Jst-zh 1.5mm pitch (correct me if I am wrong)

PLEASE ADD ADDITIONS HERE

ANY ADDITIONS ARE APPRECIATED

Pictures will Be updated soon

THIS IS A WIKI SO ANYONE CAN UPDATE AND CHANGE IT

7 Likes

Good idea, but I think it’s better to use high quality stock images instead :slight_smile:
Also we could add some dimensions / tech specs for each connector, for example, recommended amount of max amps.

3 Likes

If I could turn it into a wiki then everyone could contribute

@mmaner @longhairedboy

How do I do this

AS150 for battery-VESC.

VESC-motors:

• MR60
  • MT60
  • MR30
  • MT30
1 Like

Updated

Will update pics later

It is now a wiki and can be updated and added by anyone

Things which need to be changed are

Pictures

Dimensions

And uses

GX-connectors for sensors, throttles, lights…

Neutrik Speakon connectors NL4 for phase wires (up to 30A I think)

Maybe not the best for esk8 applications, but I’ve been sharing battery/controller between different vehicles and when you need something to be frequently disconnected they’re pretty good options.

Go for it and place them on the list

thank you @rusins

Spent a good 15 minutes cleaning up the XT connector and charge port section. Might do the same for the bullet connector section later if I feel like it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

thank you very much

About the ratings of those Amass connectors , I’m not 100% sure we got this right. For instance, I think the Datasheets say that the XT60 is rated at 30A with a max of 60A. Don’t know how to interpret that… Rating vs Max? And I also don’t know how safe it is to draw 50A through that. (hence why the XT90 are probably better candidates)

Similarly, would it be safe to use the MR60s for the motor phases on beefy motors if they’re only “rated” for 30A?

XT60s is not a thing sadly, only XT90s with the antispark

1 Like

its complicated cause MR60 is rated to 30A continuous but 60A peak.
Firstly who is able to pull 30 amp continuous per motor? There is no spec for how long it can hold the peak current but you would assume its fro more than a few seconds.
Furthermore I think this rating is for DC current. If your using 3Phase AC (like we are on motors) then i think the rating is for the RMS current. eg a 30A continuous DC rated connector should take around 42A AC . . . . maybe. I think you multiply by 1/root2.

Math aside there are lots of builders that use MR60 on 6374 motors or larger and dont have any problems with them. I personally use them on my maytech 6880 motors and i weigh a lot so i use full power often for long ammounts of the time.

1 Like

Is it okay to use XT90S between battery and vesc instead of a regular XT90?

1 Like

I use them all around, no problems at all for my experience…Expensive though…

Bumping this thread to get people to contribute to it, and also to ask a question:

In a world where both 5.5x2.1 and 5.5x2.5 mm barrel charging ports / plugs exist, which one to go for? My beefier chargers come with 2.5mm ones, but so far all I’ve had is 2.1. I’m wondering now if I should switch everything to 2.5mm because they’d be more sturdy + less electrical resistance, or if I should do something even fancier: have all my 10s boards use 2.1, and all my 12s boards use 2.5 :smiley: That way you could tell just from the outside what battery the board has :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I wouldn’t do that, pretty sure you can fit a 2.5 plug into a 2.1 socket… might not end well.

Some people here charge their 10s batteries with 12s chargers, so it wouldn’t be too bad…

1 Like

images (27)

5 Likes