Charging Ports: Pros, Cons and Information

Please see [Wiki] Connectors and plug types

8 Likes

Well my account still can not edit or change this thread to a wiki, please feel free to if you can!

Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

That looks like a GX12-3 photo

1 Like

@xsynatic

1 Like

Grabbed that from a AliExpress listing labeled GX16 3P 3Pin aviation plug, but it very well could be, I can look for a better image with some labels.

Used by Mellow Board

2 Likes

My favourite is the Weipu SF12.

I think it’s important that the board side socket is female to prevent accidental shorts.

As far as i’m aware, the GX connectors are only available with a male socket.

Likewise, I believe the XLR connectors can be found with a male or female socket.

Important things to remember when purchasing.

For the rough and ready, an xt30 is an excellent charge port.

6 Likes

Definitely agree with vehicle(battery) side socket should be female to prevent accidental shorts, plus then a nice flush cover can be added.

The Weipu SF12 connectors look nice(didn’t know about them), feel free to add it or once I can edit I will for sure.

GX ports well common are overall a lesser of the port standards IMO cheap and strong enough but not my top pick.

1 Like

@xsynatic do you have magic wiki powers?

4 Likes

Some combination of a panel mount xt30 with a cover and a externally serviceable fuse in one compact part would be nice. Seems like it could be less than 18x18.

Be fancy and have an XT90 out with a large fuse option.

2 Likes

:thinking: definitely seems doable. How bug are the mini blade fuses?

2 Likes

Not sure how you would diy the port cover very well though. Haha I would want more fuses stored in there as well…

Definitely could get the dimensions way down depending on how your orient them. I was kinda confused the other day when I was thinking of DC jacks with fuse combination that must exist.

1 Like

Magic

2 Likes

I can see it, and it looks awesome. I wish I had time to CAD it up.

2 Likes

And idea that comes to mind is cutting the lid off a Gatorade bottle and using that. Easy to replace and replicate the receptacle.

Ok entering shitty diwhy territory I must relinquish.

4 Likes

Skatan gave us 3d printers for a reason Quinn.

3 Likes

I started using GX-16-2 ports a while back and I definitely like them a lot. The receiving port doesn’t stick out too much and the backshell area is decently small

@glyphiks I have a weipu I haven’t used yet but wow is it nice. Shame they’re like 8 bucks a pop tho

5 Likes

It’s no Gatorade bottle, but fitted this on my build tonight.

6 Likes

Definitely the classiest xt30 charge port I have seen :ok_hand:

1 Like