[Wiki] Connectors and plug types

Not gonna lie – I’m tempted to try it, since having 1 charger for multiple boards would be kinda cool lol

If you want to use barrel connectors for charging (I use xt60/90 or aviation style)

I’d go with 5.5x2.5 on everything.

Re-terminate all chargers with xt60/90 - make dongle for board ports. The screw down 2.1/2.5 barrels are really convenient. Can have a few pigtailed xt charger plug ins, strip wire with teeth, and screw down terminal to charge a non-standard noob on the fly. Or just have a bundle of premade dongles…

2 Likes

I think maybe having a a single adapter from 2.1 to 2.5 would be the better option…
But I do like the pigtail idea, I might do something like that, thanks!

There’s also XT150 which is the non antispark version of the AS-150. XT150 is 6mm whereas the AS-150 is 7mm

1 Like

But on group rides, you can be the G carrying xt60/90 to literally anything (make every common port - xt369, 2-4p aviation, etc) - really wouldn’t weigh much.

Dunno. I just think having a solid modular cord to disconnect from the brick makes things easier.

2 Likes

Just today when charging was done the charge head briefly touched my skin and it was pretty hot, like i could only hold onto it for a few seconds. Not sure why my 12s charger came with this head. It was a 5A charger. I should probably cut and solder a 2.5mm x 5.5mm charger head and vice versa for the charge port on the board.

4 Likes

Are you the guy who said he confessed to spending hours on end high in an effort to find the best connectors…
maybe I got a different guy

1 Like

lol not me, found it in 5 minutes of searching yesterday 🤷
though high also

3 Likes

Find me a 6 pin locking waterproof cup terminal connector more compact than an M-12 or GX16

The first automotive connector that comes up under those terms on Amazon is honestly the closet thing but it’s just too large to be reasonable for sensors (and it’s a crimp connector). 2xmr30 is currently the best option.

In speaking of expensive connectors

We paid $75/pop for the circle locking connector in 16 pin. Shit was ridiculous.

how’s this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JQ8Q4JG/

As it is the housing/strain relief is just way too chunky man. One is larger than both of my phase connections. Could possibly be hacked up and re-potted but I doubt it. Dual mr30’s take up sooo much less space haha. I just hate the idea of shit being split across two, especially for something as easy to make a slight mistake in rewiring like sensors.

Not joking about how much time I’ve spent. Think I’ve seen every single thing on Amazon that exists in plastic housing aviation/barrel form. :frowning:

2 Likes

lol same here, don’t think there’s anything smaller 🤷

Juuust maybe these guys

https://m.alibaba.com/product/60234860747/micro-circular-connectors-m8-6-pin.html

M8 connectors are officially not specced for 6 pin but :man_shrugging: China

What about those:

1 Like

That’s fucking humongous dude. Once again, larger than both of my phase connections haha.

If it’s not smaller than a MR-60, it’s a no.

1 Like

Than how about yato 6 pin superseal. But u gotta crimp’em

Already mentioned.

In short - they’re close. I really need to see them in person I guess. Videos make them look larger than two MR-60’s tho so I don’t have great hopes.

I feel like at that point, I’d just go JST-SM and individually pot the crimp entrances with liquid e tape in a small syringe. I don’t however trust the housing of it to keep water from entering and covering the female pins…

Either way, if I were settling, I’d settle on 2x mr-30 before hand.

I think there’s something really special about having rugged, waterproof connectors on your cans, both phase and sensor, outside of your enclosure. Break a magnet because you didn’t battle harden them? One minute or less swap out. Don’t have to open the internals.

Even using mr-60, if you plan on going thru serious puddles, a thin bead of something like liquid e-tape or butyl tape should go on the connector mating seam, and all grey push on housings completely potted via liquid e-tape in tiny syringe.

It’s highly autistic, but so fucking worth it. Plus, half of the hobby for me is building cool robust modular shit. I love modularity in every thing I do…

1 Like

Hit me when you find something. Bookmarking this.
Uh, just found this page: https://www.higoconnector.com/products/collection/signal/K999K#title

1 Like

were you looking at the mini f’s or the mini b’s?

What I would be interested in is this connector as it has 3 phase wires rated 45A and 7 sensors rated 2A. For me it would be perfect because Im running 35 motor max.

2 Likes