Gallium Nitride (GaN) Charger for Esk8

I’ll compile a list of production boards that I’ve done testing with on the site when I have them for sale.

:arrow_up:

Came to say this.

Reduce the weight of our bag we carry. Also 10S, 12S, 18S with Amass XT30 plug on the end

5 Likes

You sure that can handle 20 Amps+ ?

Some 5.5 x 2.1 can be solid. But many get rather hot at 4A. It depends on the specific jack and the plug. Over 4 - 5A I would avoid.

3 Likes

Nope, but it should be good to 30A continuous, I THINK. (You should test it)

Amass seems to name their connectors according to their continuous rating, and then puts out nonsense “CYA” datasheets.

CYA = Cover Your Ass, aka “don’t sue me, I told you not to do it”

There’s a lot of variations with the particular jack, case in point:

The connector compendium also lists a version that is limited to 2A

I’d rather play it safe when you’re catering to the less educated masses than fly too close to the sun and get a bunch of angry emails from customers who had substandard jacks or shoddy soldering from some companies and melted their jack with your charger.

3 Likes

yup, that’s why I’m gonna make this list

Still a risk though IMO, what if the manufacturer stealth changes a component for cost savings measures after you tested it? What if QC misses a poor solder joint on a run of boards? Neither of these would really be covered by a list of tested products, and they can happen quite often, especially stealth changes. Heck Wowgo once completely changed an entire battery pack in the lineup without anyone knowing for a few months.

2 Likes

fair point. I’ll address this clearly.

At the end of the day, I’m just trying to provide better tech that improves the esk8 experience. A smaller charger that charges faster is definitely something that adds points to the user experience.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t it be cheaper to use better silicon FETs than to use GAN FETs? Seems like as of right now they’re mostly a marketing craze, and only are really necessary in very specific applications.

3 Likes

GaN is like 3x more expensive, so a charger is going to end up costing $500.

7 Likes

I agree, I just don’t think it needs to be that fast. A 3A or 3.5A charger is already faster than a lot of fast chargers out there, but well within safe limits for just about everything, and you still get the size benefit (in fact it’d probably be even smaller than a 5A!).

3 Likes

donelab did a great series on these connectors

XT30 XT30 connector - everything you need to know about, measured and tested - YouTube
XT60 XT60 connector - everything you need to know about, measured and tested - YouTube
XT90 XT90 - Measured and tested - YouTube

5 Likes

They are, but the point is to use GaN fets on large wattage chargers to reduce volume. I bought a 20s 40A charger the other day and the size of that thing is legit a microwave. The idea is so that they’re portable enough to be used on group-rides.

And also, let’s say your commute is 50km, you can now just have a battery pack that’s good for 30km and carry a charger that’ll charge the pack in 30 minutes and doesn’t weigh like 10 bricks in your bag

3 Likes

The 250W should cost around 150 USD shipping included, 600W should be around 250 - 300 USD shipping included.

This is just an ESTIMATE, nobody knows the cost until production, and word from the OEM is that the cost might very well be less than the estimate. Chip prices are fluctuating like crazy right now, some are even more expensive than the GaN fets used in here

Can confirm that xt30 gets warm at 20a. I wouldn’t go above 20, but i’m comfortable at 20.

3 Likes

You are going to need PFC and isolation.

1 Like

The PFC bridge cost like 20 bucks each in these.

I just don’t fuck with them entirely, none of my cables are thin enough to use it anyways.

1 Like

I use xt30 for all my charge port connections with 14awg wires.

My charge ports are only rated for 13a but i’ve put 20a through them too :laughing: