[EU][WTB] DC charge port 2.1 x 5.5mm

Just fried one of these cheap ones with a 5A charger:

Anyone know where to buy ones rated for at least 5A? I’m in Europe, so shipping from China would take over a month :unamused:

Btw, do I need to use thicker wires for 5A? Current ones I have are 20AWG, Turnigy. Looking at some tables online say that it should be fine…

3 Likes

Mouser.de is a good source for all kind of electronic components.

Wire guard you can check here:

https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

4 Likes

Are you still in the UK?

No, back in Latvia :confused:

1 Like

I have metal charge ports laying. They can handel 5A :slight_smile:

1euro for the port + shipping

I use always 18awg charge wires.

3 Likes

I have 1 from street wing you can have it for free if you pay shipping @rusins

The ones listed on the site say max 3A, but thanks

Ooh, sounds nice. Got a picture? Would love to grab 5 or more.

I can also send you just the aliexpress link :joy:

1 Like

Ooh, very nice! I’ll PM you :slight_smile:

I could use that link as well :grin:

For example this one
Panel Mount Stecker metall 5,52,1 5,52,5
https://a.aliexpress.ru/_Nq61j

2 Likes

thx much…

1 Like

These are from the UK, so shipping was really fast. Also an option.

1 Like

Sorry for reviving an old thread but any idea how to know if my charger needs a 2.1 or 2.5 mm socket?

2.1mm is more common. So you have a charger and want to know the proper charge port, right? If you have a caliper you could measure the hole. Or you plug the charger into a charge port of any low power device (with this system), if it fits it’s 99% 2.1mm.

Here a pic, on the left side 2.5mm, both on the right side are 2.1mm. The plug on the outer right is low quality.

2 Likes

I shouldn’ be surpised, I have the one on the right :joy:
And it’s a 3A 12S charger :thinking:
Damn EOVAN crappy stuff

thanks BTW

1 Like

The poor right one is my 12s 4A charger which I already replaced because the former plug melted away (including plastic port). I still charge with this plug but after seeing my own pic I have to find proper quality 2.1mm x 5.5mm charge plugs.

The best way to avoid problems is to touch charge plug and port once in a while to check temp. If it’s a bit warm it’s ok but if it’s quite warm or hot then there is something wrong.

I also charge with 8A (2.1mm x 5.5mm charge plug and port) and it’s just a bit warm.

2 Likes

how’d you solder that 3 pin charge port?

You should measure with a multimeter to check which pin goes to which part of the charger; If I recall correctly, then those 2 outer pins were both minus (that, or one was just useless :laughing: )

Personally I don’t use that type of charge port anymore because the metal one is the same size but supports higher current.

1 Like