Dickyho 170 kv motors
I have set
Motor max 50
Motor current - 40
Absolute max
Battery max
Battery regen

Thanks

Motor max 50 - max rating on your motors. 60A is a good start, adjust from there. max power at lower speeds
Motor min/regen - 40 - max braking at low speed, must be negative
Absolute max - as high as it will let you set it, maybe 150A
Battery max - 4P 30Q is max 80A but depending on how it’s constructed, could be less. 60A is safer.
Battery min/regen - how hard do you want the brakes to hit at high speed? -22A to start. Do NOT enter a positive number here. More amperage is harder brakes at high speed.

8 Likes

Thanks
I have two on and off button s
One on the unitly and one on the bestech
Do I setup roll to start and turn. Off everything with bestech switch then push to start

Or can I disable one of the two switches

Make the BMS switch on all the time

1 Like

Will that leave my battery on all the time

So bms would be on all the time

Not really; the ESC would have power all the time unless the battery was drained past a critically low amount, which is a good safeguard anyway.

You need to make sure your BMS is capable of the currents you need, though. Which BMS?

Bestech d596

1 Like

You should be okay with that.

1 Like

I didn’t know there were separate braking currents for high and low speeds- I always thought that “battery regen” was the maximum charge rate of the battery (1c of capacity, so a 5Ah Lipo must have regen set to -5). Do you happen to know how an esc decides which current to use/ what speeds or factors it switches by? And will the vescs default -60 regen damage batteries rated for significantly lower charge rates? Thanks in advance!

Typically the high regenerative charge rates achieved by smashing the brakes at a high speed will be so ephemeral that they won’t upset the cells.

If sustained, a charge rate that high could definitely be an issue. But once you start braking hard, you immediately begin losing the momentum that would be needed to sustain such hard braking.

3 Likes

I have a battery pack that is 60amp max continuous discharge and I have a dual drive system. My vesc clone is connected on CAN
BUS. Shouldd I set battery current max at around 30amp or 60amp? Becasue 30amp x2 is 60amp.

Depends on your ESC.

A lot of “dual” ESCs like Unity you’d set it at 60A and each side would draw only 30A.

A lot of the time on dual single ESCs, you’d halve each “battery” number but don’t halve the “motor” numbers. So that would be 30A.

Depends which ESCs.

I have 2 single fsesc 4.12.

halve the “battery min” and “battery max” and leave all other numbers same

2 Likes

@b264 And how it looks with vesc6 (flipsky 6.6 dual plus) ?
My battery is 12s4p (30q) 60 amps continuous.

I never personally used that one, maybe someone else knows.

1 Like

So I had to change my set up I have 2 focbox with split ppm
I set
Motor 60
Max break 50
Maximum cu 150
Bat max 30
Bat max regen was at - 22 breaks where weak so do I go to - 15 or so to make the stronger

Depends which brakes.

If high-speed brakes are weak, lower battery min from -22 to -25 or something.

If low-speed brakes are weak, lower motor min from -50 to -60.

If your motor min is at 50 you will have big problems.