Braking issue with Vesc.

What is the process to change those settings?do I change the motor current brake setting too?

That seems fine, what’s your battery min current?

Connect the vesc to vesc tool, change the settings, apply/write the changes, done.

-55A should be fine, leave it as is and test it first.

I took screenshots if this help.

-9a of regen for both sides is really low. I weigh 200lb and I use about 20 per side. Since its only for short periods of time, its not that bad

1 Like

When it comes to my setup. This will be fine? 20?

Keep bumping it up till it feels comfortable. It’s different for everyone. I hope you have a Bluetooth module and a phone with vesc tool. Otherwise it gets messy.

Yes. The current spike will only last for a few seconds at a time, and it’s much better to have a safe board that will stop in a reasonable time, than a board that doesn’t stress the battery at all, but will run you into traffic.

Ok… I been follow this video.

Since I got two motors and the max charge is 6amp(Molicel 2600 35a). This dude told me to do this. 6a x 3p = 18a
Since I got 2 motors. 18a/2 motors = 9 amp for each esc.

Just to be safe. Can I do 18 amp for both ESC?

That is the “safe” setting, E.G. safest for the battery, and doesn’t exceed the datasheet rating. The general consensus on the forum from what I’ve seen, is that having your battery be 100% safe and happy is kinda worthless if you can’t stop fast enough to safely avoid traffic. If you can stay under the datasheet limit, all the better, and keep the current as low as you can, but inadequate brakes are a whole other kind of dangerous.

Thank you for the information because I really don’t want to kill myself.lol Second, You kind of convince me to get a Bluetooth module for my Vesc. My enclosure is annoying to remove.lol
For now… I have both ESC at 18a. I’m going to keep playing around with this setting until I find my magic number. Anything else I need to worry about before I put my board together?

1 Like

Everything else looks good to me.

My dude. I busted my ass today because the motors is to strong when I brake.lmao Thank you man! This works at 18a!

1 Like

XD, sorry I should have warned you to work up in steps so it didn’t surprise you. With enough current, regen braking can be very, very effective lol

I have my ESC at -40A per side, -20A would be way too low for me.
:smile:

3 Likes

I’m at -50 per side but I never mash the brake all the way down. Just ease into it but I like the fact if I do need to stop fast I have the ability.

2 Likes

Well, I was testing my board. The first brake killed me.lol

4 Likes

lmao At least I learned something today.

1 Like

Yes.

5 Likes