Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

If I asked you to look at it from a longevity standpoint ( longest cell life) would you suggest the same?

Which iOS app works with any version of Ack? Xmatic?

You brake as much as you need. At half speed 30 motor amps translate to 15 battery amps. At quarter speed 60 motor amps become 15 battery amps. Generally over 50 motor braking amps on 2wd you fly or wheels lock up.

The only moment you can carelessly use the full battery braking value is at top speed (like, 90-95% duty cycle). Usually if you need to slam on the brakes at that speed, you’re about to die. Between you spending a few months in a hospital or a few cycles taken off your battery total life, which one will it be?

For easier understanding: if it’s a 60km/hr top speed at full charge board, half speed means 30km/hr. Slamming the brakes from that speed with -30 total battery regen amps will stop you surprisingly quick

4 Likes

So my buddy has a mid-drive ebike. He wants to use a VESC so that he can get the benefits of configuration and customisation. He also wants to be able to use VESC peripherals like a Metr or Davega. The issue is that with a mid-drive ebike he still has the gearing available, so measuring motor rpm doesnt equal wheel RPM. Due to that, the speed that the vesc sees would only be accurate in one of his 8 gears.

So im wondering if there is a way to take an external hall sensor input to get wheel speed and communicate that to the VESC, so that it will use that value instead of using motor RPM and a fixed gear ratio to do the math.

3 Likes

Loaded hubs are 75kv

2 Likes

Yes.

You can pretty much set the braking as high as you want from a riding perspective. As long as you weigh around what a normal human weighs, carry around what a normal backpack weighs, and travel at normal electric longboard speeds, you shouldn’t really be damaging the cells. If any of those assumptions is wrong then maybe look into this aspect a tad more. If a car is towing you, and you’re trying to slow it down with your esk8 brakes, then you might damage the cells…

2 Likes

This is interesting.

I might try finding an ultra-cheap useless VESC-based ESC that has the main FETs blown off the PCB — or maybe just an ultra-cheap VESC 4.12 and using it with the other ESC over CAN that is driving the motor, just for data alone. You could put an encoder on the wheel and only use the second ESC for telemetry.

2 Likes

I’m getting a whine on startup sometimes and I can barely start but once I get rolling I’m fine. Is this a sensorEd/unseasoned issue?

Probably, could you upload an audio (or preferably video) clip?

You can drag an .mp4 file into the reply box

Sounds good! I’m gonna lower my motor min and hope that fixes the issue. Thanks!

1 Like

What would be considered the newest and most stable VESC FW over 3.65?

2 Likes

All releases are considered “stable” by the maintainers (there’s been a lot of discussion and work around making this more of a process to go from “beta” release to being “tested” to being released more broadly as “stable”). Before recent discussions it’s basically been on Ben and Frank to decide when something is safe enough to release in the wild, but these are at your own risk setups when it’s all DIY and using random third party speed controllers running their software.

TLDR I’ve upgraded a lot of versions of the VESC over time, and there have been various issues occasionally where I’ve decided to roll back rather than deal with problems, and generally speaking once I’m on a version that is working well I don’t really upgrade unless there is something new I really want to try out. On the latest firmware versions for example I am starting to be tempted to upgrade to check out HFI but like I said I stick with what works for me until it doesn’t :slight_smile:

Latest version should have in theory all the bug fixes from previous revisions but there can be regressions, I’m not sure how much unit testing or other automated testing is in place with the VESC firmware or UI but honestly I feel there is limited value in that for physical devices and UIs that both require human interaction to really know if they “work” or “work well” for a given user (fit expectations etc.) If the VESC project had unlimited funding and engineering talent+time (ideal world) we would have physical test benches for everything and automated testing for all layers of everything we depend on in life, but reality isn’t ideal.

2 Likes

What problems will I face if I limit my erpm and traction control on(38000.00)? I’m using Unity and experimenting speed limit of 27 - 30 miles

Using maytech 6355 170kv with 12s5p 30q. My settings are 40/-40 and battery is 50/-10

besides grub screw, what other ways i can stop a motor pulley from moving side to side? one of the motor pulley just wont stay in same place even after i let the loctite cure for 2 days, its the third time this week im dealing with it, i need a better solution.

more info: BKB tayto motor, pix below, motor mount has a perfect circle to indicate its rubbing against it

1 Like

Loctite 641 - medium strength retaining compound.
Can go high strength (648/638/680), but it’s hard to remove and needs lots of heat.
I like the medium one.

1 Like

I put (just enough) Loctite on top of the key shaft on mine. After that I pour a little bit at the end of the shaft and just cure it. That usually does the trick for me

2 Likes

Might wanna use the profiles section in vesc tool. It’s just easier

i use 242, cure for two days still it won’t hold, that’s twice this week :man_facepalming:t2: and i don’t have loctite at work to do

will try that once i get some new grub screws, old one will strip if i put more loctite in and force it, like how it happen with my exway :man_facepalming:t2:

You might have too much play in the pulley so it rubs down any glue you may put there. How much does it spin with nothing tightened down, no glue but just the key?

1 Like

Could do what I did. I marked the spot with a pick and then milled a small divet for the grub screw

5 Likes