Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Will do chief

And Thank you so much for all your help

1 Like

yes…wait, esc also should have bootloader right? I’ve only learnt that from my old days when I still do jailbreaking ios and rooting android :joy:

Keep an eye out on the escs. If you see a red light flashing on either of them you may have other issues.

If what i said still doesn’t work, follow the advice with the bootloader, firmware update, reboot, then try again

Pretty sure even a mildly digital microwave has a bootloader lol

1 Like

I’m a little confused, I don’t know what a bootloader is. Is it the vesc tool program itself?

that’s what i thought as well, but just want to be sure esc isn’t something special that doesn’t require that :joy:

Okay sweet, no errors this time! Thank you guys again

2 Likes

in the vesc tool setting for flashing firmware, there should also be an option to reflash the bootloader. i’ve not touched vesc tool before, @Athrx u know where that button is?

1 Like

When I make changes to things like battery max, does it automatically apply to both vescs? I read I need to write changes to both motors separately but i don’t get the confirmation at the bottom right when switch vescs (without unplugging the usb and moving it to the second vesc)

**NVM, it seems to update and just not give a confirmation for the second vesc

Should be a tab before or after firmware

1 Like

Literally nothing applies to both vescs. This is the most fucked thing about it

2 Likes

Also be aware that vesc defaults to something stupid like 99 battery amps/-99 battery regen amps
Also in most cases you don’t need brakes with the same amps as acceleration
I currently run
Motor: 80/-50
Battery: 30/-17
For each vesc
Don’t pass motor maximum rated amps unless you already confirmed while riding it doesn’t overheat
Don’t pass battery discharge rating, ever.
Battery regen can be 2-3x the fast charge rating of the cells comfortably. You will only use as much as you need, but it is very important to have brakes at speed in an emergency (the only situation you will max out battery regen)
Also set ramp down time (in app config, vesc remote) to something like 0.8s. you’ll thank me later lol

3 Likes

Right now I have

Motor: 50/-40
Battery: 30/-12

For each vesc, with 2 fsesc 4.20 and a 10s4p 30q pack, which I think should be fine. I’ve seen some people use 40 as the battery max but i feel like i need a bit more breathing room than that. Also 120 for the absolute batt max.

Sensorless BLDC mode doesn’t require any additional setup besides just selecting it for each vesc right?

is it the negative ramping time?

1 Like

Alix press. This should work

1 Like

how water resistant is the puck? got caught out in the rain today, end of ride was quite heavy, just want to be sure my puck will survive

1 Like

when in doubt, toss it into a bag of rice? At least that’s what i’d do

maybe disassemble it first too

1 Like

i can do that at home, but what if i was going out? it will be weird carrying a bag of rice :rofl:

2 Likes

You don’t carry bags of rice when you skate? That’s odd. You’re probably the only person who doesn’t :rofl:

3 Likes

wait…i should? alright then, bag of rice it is

2 Likes