Delayed braking when at full throttle for a few seconds

I finished my build about a week ago and I’m new to riding the esk8 yet.

After some runs it seems to me that the command from the remote to brake is remarkably delayed when at full throttle for a few seconds. It works perfectly with short inputs instead.

I uploaded a video to better explain what I’m talking about:

That’s my PPM tab of Vesc Tool:

It is expected such behavior? In my ridings I wish I could brake quicker I some circumstances.

1 Like

Turn on real time app data (button on the right sidebar), and observe in the “mapping” tab of the PPM section whether it’s the remote that takes a second to respond, or if it does go to negative immediately, and it’s the esc that’s causing the delay.

2 Likes

never

before i clicked into this thread, i though it was about lingyi esc :rofl: @xsynatic

7 Likes

I just tried it, the remote takes few milliseconds to respond so I assume it’s working correctly.

So where is the problem?

1 Like

Well 1 thing I just noticed is that your remote ramping times are really big. I recommend positive 0.3 and negative 0.1 seconds. Maybe that has something to do with it.

5 Likes

same same

Never, and I thought it was lingyi at first; shocked to see VESC.

3 Likes

i suspect it has to do with the remote and receiver, i have never seen that behavior on vesc before :thinking:

I reduced the ramping time as you suggested… it’s drastically better!

So there’s a strong correlation between the ramping time and that behavior.
What if I want a more gradual acceleration but an instant braking system? Reduce the acceleration curve even more? That’s not the same…

2 Likes

Try setting the acceleration curves to flat / 0% until you get it working well.

1 Like

Yeah, messing with those curves is the proper way, although personally I have just reduced my positive motor current in the past :sweat_smile:

In general, do people tweak those curves or leave them linear? Just curious…

This could be a way but doing so you lose torque, what’s a good motor amps compromise?

atm I’m switching between these modes (ERPM goes from 10K to 30K by steps of 5K) :

you can even use 0.1 in both or even 0 for more responsiveness

The problem is that if you are full throttle and go full brake, first is ramps to neutral to them start to ramp the brake, not fun when the values are big

2 Likes

If that’s true then that would explain this behavior. Guess I gotta change my own settings to 0.1 and 0.1 then for safety lol

True, but unless you’re on a hill, your startup acceleration will be equivalent to torque anyway.

Btw your battery regen settings are quite low, if possible it would be best to increase them. Won’t be able to quickly break to a stop otherwise.

2 Likes

I’ve done both, but really I prefer closer to flat. I usually do 3% / 0% or 5% / 0%. I’d take 0% / 0% (flat) any day though. Flat is surprisingly very good.

That just gives you a little more oomph right when you start to apply throttle but leaves braking linear.

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t know that.
This means that at full throttle the time needed to reach the full brake is the sum of the two ramping times. In my case it was 1.2 seconds!!! This explains everything, thanks!

I’l try values from 0.3 - 0 and choose the best one for me.

Yes. The motor amps in my modes are suitable?

I’m scared to use a battery regen amps greater than the Lipo battery capacity (1C charging rule) even if other users recommended me to do so…
What’s the point here? The current from the motor while braking need to be absorbed by battery in order to maintain that brake power?

Ok, thank you!

1 Like

Just to throw another data point at you. I like the feel of throttle expo mode ‘natural’ with throttle expo set to -20, and throttle expo brake set to -20.

Throttle curves are really a personal preference thing, but I find that those settings give me a powerful but controllable experience.

2 Likes

Do it — the fact that the vehicle weighs only slightly more than a human will mean you’ll be fine. -20A Battery Regen will give you a lot more braking power at higher speeds.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback!

Ok, I’ll try with batt regen at -20A.

1 Like

The time you’d actually be pushing -20A would be a couple seconds maximum, and that’s going to be super rare probably. For a couple seconds, the cells won’t care about that.

2 Likes