ChortL | 29.75" John Grigley | 3WD | TB130 | BN145 | 10S | 100 cells [SRO]

a build thread for ChortL, an electric commuter skateboard

My newest DIY-esk8 has been born. This is a commuter board for moving around town, grocery shopping, and is friendly to trains and shopping carts and hauling cargo. It is really heavy at 18kg (39 lbs) but it has the range to go almost anywhere. It has a handle on the nose. It has lights so I can be seen. It’s a sister board to the Blue One, the Green One, and the Red One.

hand-built 100 cell Li-ion 42.0V battery | hand-built fiberglass enclosure | hand skinned deck with aluminum oxide grip | loopkey power switch | Mini Remote | trigger Z.Mote | Hoyt puck remote | 6380 main motor, 6355 secondary motor, 5055 tertiary motor | @Boardnamics 145mm hangers on Caliber2 50° baseplates with CaliberE green bushings | one modified BN caliber mount, two modified BN “XL” mounts, one custom mount, all hand-machined | 29.75" x 9.75" Vision John Grigley Street Ghost deck | three FOCBOX motor controllers, two 1.6 and one 1.7 | 15:48, 15:48, 15:50 belt drives | Torqueboards TB130 72A prototype wheels | Metroboard 2W riser lights

There is also a “stealth mode” key which, when pulled, cuts off all lights and voltage gauges and only energizes the drive train.

Its range is probably around 93km (58 miles) under ideal conditions and 56km (35 miles) in real world conditions.

The enclosure also has the bottom edge made out of 7mm thick grinding wheel material.

It has a brake burner that will sound a buzzer and start burning off energy as heat if the charge begins to exceed 100% while braking.

All of these things fit together with mere millimeters of extra space — the clearance on this at full lean in both directions is almost exactly a millimeter in several places.

If you kick up the board and grab the handle with your left hand, then you are greeted with a battery voltage readout if you look into the nose end. It may be upside down, but it reads correctly as used.

You can see there are slots in the front of the enclosure for a socket and ratchet to tighten the truck nuts. You also can’t see it, but there is a hollow for the kingpin head so it doesn’t collide with the enclosure which sits 1mm from the front trucks.

It has a tailbone brakelight.

For being a shortboard and having 100 cells, it actually has enough clearance for all normal street riding that I do. It sails right over speed humps and various road imperfections.

But if something were to stick up too far and not clear, it could eventually, in theory, remove the offending concrete as I continue to ride over it. The bottom edge is a thick aluminum oxide, glass fiber, and polymer soup. An early mockup of this material was tested on actual concrete, and it does eat through it just like a grinding wheel.

53 Likes
skate wheelbase deck concave
Red One 15 3/8" Powell Peralta Lance Mountain low, 6.3mm (1/4")
Blue One 15 1/4" Powell Peralta Mike McGill bottlenose low, 6.3mm (1/4")
Black One 15 1/2" Madrid Stranger Things 2 flat, 3.2mm (1/8")
Green One 15 3/8" Powell Peralta OG Bug medium, 11.1mm (7/16")
Bigfoot 16" Alva Dogstar high, 14.3mm (9/16")
ChortL 15 1/2" Vision John Grigley Street Ghost medium, 9.5mm (3/8")
3 Likes

This is also using Metr Pro CAN for telemetry and wireless connectivity, and a FlexiBMS Lite

There are 4 antennae in this skate.

6 Likes

This is running variESC Firmware Version 5.2

5 Likes

This is insane!

12 Likes

Brian - this is super cool. Awesome work man.

How does the kick tail function with the rear mounted motor? Won’t the motor mounts hit the ground?

3 Likes

The kicktail is to tack the nose around for sharp turns and navigating urban environments.

Yes, the motor mounts are designed to hit first, which is why there’s an extra one in the back and they’re the super huge @Boardnamics XL mounts, except on a tiny 145mm hanger. You can absolutely kick it up on the mounts, and this is actually how you grab it.

3 Likes

Not to scale, approximate layout of the interior.

It also contains a BMS, brake controller, lighting controller, buck converter, buzzer, Metr Pro CAN, an aluminum bar for heat absorption, and 3 radio receivers.

15 Likes

What made you decide to go with 3 instead of just the standard 2 motors? Just wanted a bit more power?

Clean build as always, crazy so much range was packed into such a small package!

Three motors decreases the torque stresses on the wheel cores.

3 Likes

Ah gotcha, going for longevity makes sense in a commuter

1 Like

This is using 300mm, 310mm & 355mm HTD5M synchronous timing belts

1 Like

I am sure we can all agree there is nothing crazier than this out there right!!!

I still call it the Purple Submarine.

2 Likes

there is no way to even pick the most insane part about it.

I still can’t believe Brian got it running.

3 Likes

There are about 50 different places where the clearances are in the millimeter range, and this enclosure took a long time to make, and several times I had to remove parts of it and remake them.

“There are no mistakes in fiberglass, only more sanding.”

9 Likes

Mildly innovative, functionally perfect, no margins left on the page. Metal as fuck.
My only suggestion would be to replace the tail puck with one that holds a single tiny skate park wheel so you can RIDE the wheelies. Bonus points for a roller ball so you can wheelie-slide.
…and you should build ankle strength till you can kickflip it.

10 Likes

ohh.
I like the idea of adding little wheels to the back for unlimited wheelies.

Brian, do you think you could attach some to the BN mounts…

4 Likes

:thinking:

:metal:

5 Likes

I forgot to mention all 3 motors are battle hardened as well.

1 Like

Do you have pics of the enclosure internals? I am very intrigued to see how you positioned the wirings

4 Likes