A simpler alternative to VESC? Interest?

Anyone ever thought about going 3 wheel drive?

That little braking force (grip) and redundancy is not very desirable to me and many others I’ve spoken to.

3 Likes

Single drive is just unsafe. And that’s coming from someone that ran single drive for like 6 months.

Every time I’ve had to run a board with 1 motor, it becomes immensely more difficult to ride, as even with bn184 there’s noticeable torque steer and no grip while braking.

3 Likes

This could be a viable option too. A ESK8 specific VESC. Simpler interface. That has the potential to be something really special.

3 Likes

Dual drive is usually part of my desired specs.

2 Likes

Dual drive skates ran as single drive do tend to feel that way, for sure. Also skates with really wide hangers also feel that way.

But a skate designed as single drive first can feel much different.

Just saying, it’s not for everyone but it does excel in the cost and weight categories.

1 Like

Over a certain speed, let’s say 15 mph in my opinion, you should have two wheels capable of braking.

7 Likes

This ESC will be 2 wheel drive only

1 Like

so no canbus connection?

After removing the other belt and bumping up the settings of the single motor, I don’t see why it would be any different than a real single drive setup

Mostly because you were probably using super wide hangers. Try BN145.

I tried this with caliber 2s too. Still much of the same. Those have similar effective width to bn145

Caliber 2 are 184mm

Probably not for you. I would lay off the single drive, sounds like a skill issue :rofl:

With short axles, requiring bolt on pulleys and the motors being mounted more towards the center. This results in a similar track width to bn145.

No. Keep in mind this ESC is meant to be a simpler and cheaper alternative to VESC. When it comes to features and big power, VESC will remain the king.

For me, this is the dealbreaker and why I stick with VESC.

I can use VESC to run nearly any PMSM in existence, even a diy one.

An alternative needs to do at least this.

VESC can’t do that, or at least I haven’t been able to do it.

Try a large, high pole count, super low Kv motor and it struggles hard no matter which hardware I try it on. Often it acts like it works, but upon further investigation, it’s not working properly.

Wouldn’t almost any ESC architecture, at least the stuff easily accessible by consumers, have trouble with that?

No.

I was at a robotics competiton many moths ago where out of the over dozen motors there vesc worked out of the box with maybe two of them. Getting the motors to even pass detection took hours of guess and check hacking.

Something that does work is Elmo Motion Control.

1 Like