A simpler alternative to VESC? Interest?

I am chatting with the person who has access to high performance ESCs. 12s-14s, adjustable current up to 100 amps, 4 speed modes and 4 brake modes. Everything is adjustable from the remote. The only issue I can is the ESC will only support 150kv and below. I think the final price for a ESC and remote will be less than $250. Personally, I do not like the complexity and hassle of programming a VESC. Do you think the DIY community would be interested in a product like this?

Future improvements are 140amp version. I am trying to convince my contact to make a version that is compatible with motors up to 190kv.

9 Likes

You can’t use a PPM Remote, right? That is a bummer for me.

5 Likes

This is fantastic, vesctool is one of the most daunting things about diy esk8!

Edit, no ppm is definitely a bummer but id gladly take the tradeoff of proprietary remotes for hassle free plug and play

4 Likes

To many, the appealing part of vesc is the level of customizability. Taking that out just leaves us with the stuff we dont like. Static throttle response, duty cycle control, low battery current, etc.

13 Likes

I second this completely. The appeal in VESC is having the customizability. BUT, I do think there is an appeal to people starting out. I think that if you take this route, it could be an alternative for some of the prebuilt boards esc’s.

3 Likes

That’s what I am thinking too. There is a bunch of people like myself that have high end consumer boards but are not the super hardcore guys running 140 amps per channel from their VESC.

For those guys, a plug an play upgrade may be the way to go. Especially if it is 140amps or 70 amps per channel. I think 100 amps is enough for many. 140 amps would enough for most.

7 Likes

@fujio001 Seems like this might appeal to the “plug and play” esk8 community, not the DIY scene. Might also be a good option for new esk8 prebuild builders.

How large is the plug and play/non DIY esk8 market? This reminds me of the new educational venture BKB is pursuing under the lectec brand: https://instagram.com/golectec
Lectec.com

3 Likes

I should clarify, im not saying it’s a bad idea. Honestly, it’s a great idea, it just wouldnt be appealing to people here. It would appeal to people on facebook :wink:

4 Likes

I think if you can make it cheap enough people would use it, maybe for things like campus cruisers or true last mile things where power doesn’t matter, you wont be competing for the same market as things like the DV6, Solo or other high power escs but if you can do a FSESC 4.20 but super reliable it might be something you can get people to use.

2 Likes

Those speed and brake modes better be separate settings or else it is trash in my opinion. :person_shrugging: Nothing is worse than using a higher mode and getting forced to tolerate brakes that are too strong for what you need.

Also I’d look into giving people multiple remote options. Maybe a simple one and then one with a screen for people who want that and don’t mind paying a bit extra.

I’ve likely moved on from using non programmable ESCs but I’ve been running Ling-Yis for years

I’d guess it is larger than the DIY side by a long run. It is more along the lines of the people who buy prebuilds and want to occasionally ride a board. Might be worth getting in touch with another company to sell kits that include your ESC + the parts people need to better target that market.

1 Like

This would be useful for repairing broken prebuilt boards, but I don’t think most esk8 builders would like it.

What would be great, is if there was a motor controller with customizable/modular usability, that didn’t rely on Trampa for buggy software and forced updates. Bonus points if it had a stellar sensor-free commutation algorithm and could work with any remote or motor.

2 Likes

That is what I am trying to figure out. I know I am in that group.

1 Like

The speed and brake modes are separate. They may also be adjustable. I will need to check on that. There are two remote options but they both look pretty bad. I may need to design a remote that is actually ergonomic.

3 Likes

How many amps per channel do you guys think would be need to appeal to the lower end DIYers and high end consumer markets?

What motor KVs are the most commonly paired with 12s-14s? I am assuming it is 140-190kv but I could be wrong.

2 Likes

I have found that the super basic design you see for other escs to be very comfortable as is.

This style:

Then I have a vx4 remote and while I don’t hate it, it isn’t as comfortable I think. I need to use it more to know for sure.

Disclaimer: I have weirdly sized hands that are technically child sized. :sob: So what is comfortable for me may not be the same for anyone with normal sized hands. I am an adult. Just child sizes gloves are closest to fitting my hands

1 Like

I have wide fat hands with short fingers and this remote is comfortable for me too.

1 Like

I am almost positive the ESC is not PPM compatible.

2 Likes

VESC doesn’t use PPM.

It mislabels PWM as PPM.

4 Likes

What’s wrong with vesc and vesc tool? Sure, it can be intimidating at first and there is a lot to learn but it’s not really that hard at all and the risk of breaking something seems small. My first diy build has been damn reliable for 2300mi in a year despite my lack of knowledge around vesc tool.

2 Likes

What I miss is the concept of the Unity.

It was small, had a power button and Bluetooth.
And a dedicated app with few things to change.
And it worked mostly

We need something like that…

5 Likes