🏆 2021 Build of the Year - Nominations

Well, it’s that time again. Another year gone, and another batch of the best esk8 builds on the planet have passed through the halls of our great forum. You know what comes next.

9e5e46aa-bb35-48b4-ad10-00a30e2a12a7

Check out last year’s contest so you can tell us all the ways that we are doing it wrong and how afraid of change you are :kissing_heart:

The rules for nominations this year are as follows:

• Each build must have a build thread on this website.
  • All builds/build threads must have been completed by 11:59PM PST December 31st 2021 to be eligible.
  • Nominations can be submitted from now until 11:59PM January 15th.
  • Nominate someone by posting a link to their build thread and tagging them.
  • No self-nominations.

On January 16th we will close nominations and open a voting thread. That’s right, just over two weeks to get your nominations in. Should be plenty of time, go get digging through the DIY Builds section ASAP!

The voting is going to work differently this year. Due to overwhelming popular demand, we are excited to be introducing categories to BOTY!

Here’s how that’s going to work:

1. When a build gets nominated, the builder will select the category they want their build to compete in. Each build can only compete in one category.
  2. Voting will happen in two rounds; the first round determines the category winners, the second round will be the category winners competing against each other for the BOTY crown!
  3. I will be building trophies for 1st place in each category and BOYT, and we are working on getting together some other prizes for the winners as well :slight_smile:

The categories this year are:

1 - Street Builds

• This means any build which is primarily designed for on-road use. This category is hardware-independant. The hardware of your board has nothing to do with this, it’s entirely up to how you use it.
  • If your board has an eMTB deck, top-box enclosure, MTB bindings, and big knobby pneumatics, it doesnt matter so long as you designed it/use it primarily on the streets (pavement, sidewalks, bike paths, skate park, whatever).

2 - Off-Road Builds

• This means any build which is primarily designed for off-road use. This category is hardware-independant. The hardware of your board has nothing to do with this, it’s entirely up to how you use it.
  • If your board has a 32" popsicle deck, underslung enclosure, spray-on grip tape, and 85mm urethane wheels, it doesnt matter so long as you designed it/use it primarily off-road (dirt tracks, grass, gravel, sand, snow, whatever).

3 - Most DIY Elements

• This means any build which capitalizes on it’s use of parts and components where the builder truly “did it themselves.” They did not assemble their board from off-the-shelf components, and instead opted to get their hands extra dirty and build some amount of critical components themselves, from scratch.
  • Did you design/build your own ESC based on the VESC open source project? Did you turn a block of metal into your own trucks/motor mounts/etc.? Did you write your own code for a custom peripheral (lights/datalogger/dashboard/etc.)? Did you wind your own motors? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, this may be the category for you!

We are reaching out to the awesome members of our community to secure some dope prizes for the BOTY winner and category winners. If you are a vendor (big or small), or just a private person, and you want to volunteer to donate some prizes in exchange for everlasting gratitude and good-will, please reach out :blush:

We will have a thread showcasing the prizes and thanking the lovely donors after the winners are announced, so be on the lookout for that so you can go show our generous donors some love!

This is a fun community event, so lets keep it light-hearted and good-spirited, and please keep it inside this community. All of the builds on this site are awesome, and I for one cant wait to see all the amazing things you beautiful people have made during this shit sandwich of a year :wink:

Have fun, and good luck!
- @MrDrunkenMobster, @xsynatic, and @glyphiks

31 Likes

Y’all, to be clear, it’s the builder who decides the category they want to compete in, not the person nominating them.

3 Likes

@jack.luis cyboard

Though the thread was made in 2020, the build was finished in 2021.

Esk8 dad for boty

10 Likes

@PedroMcJimenez

@Flyboy

:point_up: :point_up: :point_up: this one fuckin slapped titties

EDIT:
@xsynatic to be clear; only one nomination per category, or can we nominate multiple? Lotts fuckin contenders man, hard to choose

13 Likes

Thanks!
I agree with the DIY categorization and I am honored to have slapped some fuckin titties :metal:

5 Likes

@Flyboy build, someone else already did but I wanted to acknowledge it as well.

I’ll have more later but I’m on my phone, will wait to look around on my laptop for the other notable ones.

4 Likes

Well. @EreTroN 's build is my nomination. :smiley:

19 Likes

already nominated 3weeks ago :slightly_smiling_face:

e: ooops i forgor to tag @EreTroN

8 Likes
8 Likes

Ender 3 pro for the most DIY winner

If I win this category I will give the prize to the runner up

20 Likes

How are you gonna gift yourself something? :thinking:

4 Likes

Well done thread, guys! Should be dickloads of fun.

6 Likes

I nominate @NoWind ’s Psychoframe. I still can’t get over how cool that thing is.

24 Likes

Suddenly everyone has a “street build”.

12 Likes

I nominate both the old and new nimblestiff, or is the new one called Frankendick? Idk @glyphiks pls clarify

7 Likes

Y’all, to be clear, it’s the builder who decides the category they want to compete in, not the person nominating them.

Thanks for putting this on the record :grin:

6 Likes

Incredibly generous, thank you Jackson! We’ll be in touch regarding logistics soon :blush::metal:

6 Likes

:rofl:

That’s definitely a possible outcome lol. I considered having builders send me their category decisions in a PM to avoid having people game out their decision based on the competition, but I decided I kinda like keeping everything public in this thread so y’all can game it out :smiling_imp:

5 Likes

@moddedlife for this crazy build:

8 Likes

@EreTroN with OutRun

this thing is so above and beyond, truly a work of art.

1 Like