Deck - Mov-E from @Lukas
I remember following the development of this deck waaaayyy back in the builders days. To this day, it’s one of the only integrated decks that I just love the look of. When this popped up as a scratch and dent sale well after the rest of them had been sold, I had to have it
I did some obligatory customisation to the deck, because I just can’t help myself. On the bottom i used some green resin as a base coat, used some uni-directional carbon fibre rail tape for style points, and a layer of 200gsm fibreglass cloth over the top. I left the wheel wells clean because the composition of this deck is one of the reasons I love it so.
For the top side, I wanted to try and do the quickest and dirtiest skin and frit that I could. It worked surprisingly well.
I did a base coat of white, let it tack, stuck the cloth down on that, cut out the lid with surgical scalpel courtesy of @CLUNT, then one coat of epoxy, fine frit and done.
This was by far the easiest skin I’ve done
Battery - reclaimed and rebuilt 10s4p 30q
Once upon a time, like many of us, I had a Raptor 2. It was a fun board, although I hated the deck and swapped it out to a Bustin EQ 36 and that was a huge improvement. I didn’t have all too many issues with it, I must have had the good thane. But when I did the deck swap, I dropped a metr pro in there as well.
The logs alerted me to the fact that something was up with the battery. I can’t remember exactly what it was, but I gutted the raptor, tore down the battery and rebuilt it, and then decided to bin the rest of the raptor and just keep the battery and the focboxes.
I’ve put an LLT smart bms on this pack now so I can monitor it’s performance. I’m not hopeful, but if it’s shit, it’ll be a great excuse to swap it out for a brand new P26A pack.
ESCs - reclaimed raptor focboxes
See above. Only thing worth mentioning here is that I needed to extend the phase wires. I stayed true to the OG and used 14awg, but used MT60 rather than bullets.
Trucks and wheels - Surfrodz 149mm TKPs on @IDEA dropdown brackets with Ahmyo Akasha 76mm
Don’t see a hell of a lot of builds on TKP. I wanted to try it. I also have a penchant for small wheels. I bought a complete longboard a while back with the Akashas on it and fell in love with them, they’re a really nice wheel.
I went with the 149mm trucks because, call me crazy, but I don’t fucking like big huge boat like hangers that every bastard likes to put on their esk8s these days. I wanted to keep it as narrow as possible.
As soon as I started assembling the brackets and trucks for the first time, I decided I wanted to keep the front really narrow and give the board somewhat of an LDP look.
This thing just wants to turn. You can almost turn it with the weight of your stare. This will be great, but I really wanna give it more of a surfy feel rather than like a snowboard feel, so I’ll be tinkering with the rear truck setup to try and really kill the rear steer in it.
Mounts - XTLA
These were another scratch and dent buy. Got them for a great price and they seem really nice. I think I wanna add a cross bar to them as they are quite thin.
I did need to attack them with the router to allow for the circlip on the motors. Also there was a bit of slop in the press fit clamp, so I just Brian’d that shit and epoxied them to the hangers.
Motors - Saite 190kv 6355 sensorless
I’ve always liked the look of the Saite motors, so I snagged a set for this build. Probably should have battle hardened them, but I have a phobia of opening motors… i’m not very good at it
My only regret with these is that they are a 10mm shaft with no keyway. I ordered some 15t steel pulleys from Dickyho, but they are yet to arrive. I think i’ll just use 638 and hope for the best
The wheel pulleys were a lucky purchase from @moon
While fishing through the parts box I found a MakerX antispark that i’d forgotten about which should be perfect for this build. I was struggling to think of a way to mount a loopkey nicely, so the switch was a welcome relief.
I designed a shitty mount for the switch with my mad tinkerdick skills and I’m pretty happy with the result. Incorporated a trusty xt30 charge port into it too
While I was tinkerdicking, i made a little cover/tunnel for the phase wires too. I didn’t want these prints to be ‘structural’ so to speak, so i used longer bolts for the trucks and these housings go over the baseplate nits and then have secondary nuts to hold them on.
I would have loved to have fit a Robogotchi into this build, but there was just zero space in there, so I managed to fit in a metr pro instead.
Thanks for coming to my TED talk
Still waiting on belts and pulleys, but i’m just so goddamned excited about this build, I needed to get it off my chest