šŸ† 2022 Build of the Year - Nominations

Happy 2023, you beautiful bitches! Itā€™s time for everyoneā€™s favorite ESK8.NEWyearS tradition!

9e5e46aa-bb35-48b4-ad10-00a30e2a12a7

Check out last yearā€™s contest so you can tell us all the ways that we are doing it wrong and how afraid of change you are :kissing_heart:

Rules for Nominations:

• No self-nominations.

• Each build must have a build thread on this website.

• All builds/build threads must have been completed by 11:59PM PST December 31st 2022 to be eligible.

• Nominations can be submitted from now until 11:59PM PST January 15th.

• Nominate someone by posting a link to their build thread and tagging them.

• No self-nominations.

On January 16th we will close nominations and open a voting thread. Thatā€™s right, just over two weeks to get your nominations in. Should be plenty of time, so start digging through the DIY Builds section ASAP!

After last yearā€™s massive success, categories are back! However, we are making a few changes to hopefully refine the format. Voting is slightly different this year, and our 3rd category has a new name and definition. Please read carefully!

Voting:

• When a build gets nominated, the builder will select the category they want their build to compete in. Each build can only compete in one category.

• If the builder does not appear on this forum to select a category by the end of the nomination period, their build will be disqualified. (We want to celebrate active members of our community!)

• Voting will happen in one round (unlike last yearā€™s two rounds).

• Each category will have it"s own poll with nominees from only those categories, and there will be a 4th poll with all nominees competing for overall BOTY.

• Thereā€™s no rule against someone winning their chosen category and BOTY, but it opens the possibility of a 4th winner who does not fit neatly into any of the 3 categories taking the crown.

Categories:

1 - Street Builds

• This means any build which is primarily designed for on-road use.

• This category is hardware-independent. The hardware of your board has nothing to do with this, itā€™s entirely up to how you use it.

• If your board has an eMTB deck, top-box enclosure, MTB bindings, and big knobby pneumatics, it doesnā€™t matter so long as you designed it/use it primarily on the streets (pavement, sidewalks, bike paths, skate park, whatever).

2 - Off-Road Builds

• This means any build which is primarily designed for off-road use.

• This category is hardware-independent. The hardware of your board has nothing to do with this, itā€™s entirely up to how you use it.

• If your board has a 32" popsicle deck, underslung enclosure, spray-on grip tape, and 85mm urethane wheels, it doesnā€™t matter so long as you designed it/use it primarily off-road (dirt tracks, grass, gravel, sand, snow, whatever).

3 - Esk8 Innovation

• This means any build in which the builder truly ā€œdid it themselves,ā€ AND/OR innovated in some impressive way.

• This category is hardware-dependent. The hardware (or software, if you did something really cool with code) is entirely what you will be judged on.

• Entrants to this category should embody the spirit of esk8 innovation. Maybe they did not assemble their board from off-the-shelf components, and instead opted to get their hands extra dirty and build some critical components themselves. Or, they may have pushed forward the field of DIY esk8 technology. Perhaps this innovation or project is something new we can all use (or at least appreciate)!

BOTY means itā€™s time to pass the hat!

We are reaching out to the awesome vendors and members of our community to secure some dope prizes for the BOTY winners. If you are a vendor (big or small) or just a private person, and you want to volunteer to donate some prizes in exchange for everlasting gratitude and good-will, please reach out :blush:

We will have a thread showcasing the prizes and thanking the lovely donors after the winners are announced, so be on the lookout for that and show our generous donors some love!

This is a fun community event, so lets keep it light-hearted and good-spirited. Please keep it inside this community. All of the builds on this site are awesome, and I for one cant wait to see all the amazing things you beautiful people have made this year :wink:

Have fun, and good luck!
-@MrDrunkenMobster, @xsynatic, and @Evwan

20 Likes

Just a reminder yā€™all:

Please dont say ā€œIā€™m nominating X build for Y categoryā€ because that kinda takes the wind out of the sails of the builder picking their own category. Please just let your nomination(s) be a nomination, and let the builder speak for themselves.

7 Likes
14 Likes

Fuck off small boy. You know what you did.

3 Likes

This one definitely deserves to be here

21 Likes

I nominate @JoeyZ5 for best street build.

• Absurdly powerful
  • Fun af to ride
  • beautiful battery
  • innovative lighting with capacitive touch
  • wheel balancing 3d print design
  • almost makes me want to build a trampa
16 Likes

Nomnomnom

8 Likes

Just a reminder yā€™all:

Please dont say ā€œIā€™m nominating X build for Y categoryā€ because that kinda takes the wind out of the sails of the builder picking their own category. Please just let your nomination(s) be a nomination, and let the builder speak for themselves.

8 Likes

in my defense there was nothing to leave to the imagination for a bikeboard.

6 Likes

The boi speaks truth, Iā€™ll go for the innovation category.
I will also shout out @lock with the belted one wheel, a very DIY project with some cool fab work.

I place my nomination face down and end my turn.

10 Likes

Is this where you reveal your trap card on the 16th and edit in 7 other builds to your thread to sweep the other categories on a technicality

2 Likes

No, clearly it would be most effective to do that right after the polls open. Youā€™ll see my urethane mountain ackerman steering board soon enough

3 Likes

Itā€™s honor to even be nominated, thank you. I want to enter the ā€œDisplacerā€ build in the innovation category.

7 Likes

Nomination:

Nomination:

Edit: removed categories. My bad

9 Likes
3 Likes

Epic man, thank you for the nomination! :pray::call_me_hand:

Iā€™d like VENOM to be considered for the street category.

5 Likes

Weā€™re off to the races early this year, provoking the ducktator

4 Likes

oops :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Thanks for the nomination my man! This one is definitely an off-road build.

5 Likes

Thanks for nominating me! I agree that itā€™s a street board. The original is definitely more off road tailored, but the new board is much more of a road racer. This makes me want to go fix it, because unfortunately the pack is still at 0V :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes