75v/100v dual ubox fire

yeah lol it’s not great, it’s weird that 5 of the 6 were this year when the device came out quite a ways back. Maybe there were unreported ones in the long gap or something changed in production

1 Like

just searching on google image with “spintend ubox fire” shows 7 different spintend aftermath

2 Likes

Here’s another.
This one went up in flames in use.
(Not mine, but reliable source)

2 Likes

those are all already accounted for in my list above, except the reddit one. As they appear in the screenshot they’re Jarn’s single four times, shua, cake-brief on reddit, next row is cake-brief again, product shot, a different shot of skyart’s one. Cake-brief is the only new one to the list

:man_shrugging:t2: all i know is that, i will never buy spintend

3 Likes

Links to spintend ubox fires:
Spintend 75V/200A Ubox (Based on 75V/300A VESC)and Uni1 Introduction ! - #709 by Skyart - 26Nov20

75v/100v dual ubox fire - #26 by BigBen 11Dec2021

MoonRover | 16s9p | 4WD Moon GD | Moon hubs | Lunas | - #20 by whaddys 23Jan22

Spintend 75V/200A Ubox (Based on 75V/300A VESC)and Uni1 Introduction ! - #1760 by Halbj613 26Jan22

75v/100v dual ubox fire - #31 by Pickled_Monkey early 2022

double kill combo bonus: 75v/100v dual ubox fire - #43 by Tasventouras both in March/April2022

Evo Falcon BioX 22May22

Reddit - Dive into anything - 1July22 - added by shiteside

Spintend ubox single on fire 16July22

75v/100v dual ubox fire 5Nov22

75v/100v dual ubox fire - #39 by JesseM unknown date

10 Likes

11th December 2021

5 Likes

My ubox v2 75 went up in fire, early this year from 5.3 firmware

3 Likes

Same for my tb6 and flipsky 6.6

Its absolutely stunning this can happen and it gives me 0 faith in the VESC project.

It also baffles me that people call other escs used by chinese brands “hobby esc’s” Implying they are not good enough. Man wtf i just did motor detection with the latest firmware (as they advise) and the friggin thing exploded, wtf kind of hobbyists are implementing this.

Imagine if phone updates did this or windows updates.

/end of rant.

Its christmas now and time for forgiveness i guess :woozy_face: MERRY CHRISLER EVERYONE

5 Likes

VESC project cant be responsible for other people/companies designing hardware… if this was a trampa ESC thats actually verified by the creator, you have the right to say this tho. (not saying trampa hasnt had troubles)

7 Likes

Quick update to my case. I believe 1 or 2 of the fets blew which were right under the phase wires where the hole is. So to my understanding, voltage or amperage spike due to hitting the bridge extensions?

…or soldering heat damaged one or more FETs, causing at least one to pop when stressed.

2 Likes

or inadequate soldering/heat maybe? :thinking: those SMD power fets can be tricky…

@JesseM has had a ubox fire too

2 Likes

Fuk yeah i did… hit motor detection, and then it did the big woof

3 Likes

I haven’t seen reports of issues since they cleared up the firmware mess to be honest.
From what I gathered VESCTool showed the default firmware as applicable/uploadable when it should not have… which caused some of the issues we’ve seen.

2 Likes

Oof, that brings us to double digits. Will I link this post here as the reference or did you post elsewhere that I didn’t find? Hope you didn’t have anything else burn up as a result, also cheers @glyphiks

2 Likes

Ah ok, do you know roughly when that was? There are posts reporting fire at least as recently as November of this year, could be outdated VESC tool but it’s still causing issues, and if a device needs custom firmware to the extent it’ll catch fire it’s still a problem

1 Like

I had 2 UBOX fires in March/April, running 18s. One fire during the first 5km of riding, the second fire in motor detection after they sent a replacement . For me it was a case of being a guinea pig stuck in the firmware mess in the early stages, but I haven’t heard of many issues recently since they have sorted the firmware out and have released specific instructions for setting up.

6 Likes

VESC is also a software project. This thread is about hardware.

A certain vendor has been trying to create confusion in this space by borrowing the name.

2 Likes