Evo Falcon BioX

I was riding slowly, minding my own business when all of a sudden my precious board started to give off thick black smoke. After walking home cursing I opened it up and saw that I was the victim of another burned up ubox V1.

Luckily Markus at Bioboards hooked me up with his brand new BioX ESC.

5 Likes

Be aware that the biox is just a rebranded ubox and may have all the same problems.

“Luckily” is not the word I would choose. Nice to see you have some kind of solution though.

2 Likes

I was under the impression that it was the V1 that had this problem, not V2. Besides. What are my options. Stormcore? They seem to be burning as well.

What would be your choice of ESC? It seems like none of them are without issues.

I live in Sweden so I got this in a few days and Markus was so kind to sell it to me at a discount.

2 Likes

I’ve had no issues at all with stormcore. I’ve never used a ubox, but mmmmmmm I don’t think I would with the failure rate.
Imo stormcore, makerx, and xenith’s are all perfectly fine though. New xenitys lack canbus which kinda sucks. And there’s the antispark issue but it’s known and fixable. Still pretty good for lower power setups. MakerX stuff I’ve heard nothing but good about so far. And stormcore is really reliable as far as I’ve seen.
All that said, I’m not sure what exactly causes flaming unboxes, but from what I’ve heard it seems to be a “if it runs for 2 days leave it alone and it’ll run indefinitely” type deal. So if you are going to run the biox, just get it running, leave it alone, and be careful at first.

1 Like

Quite a few V2’s burning up in recent months… Had one explode spectacularly during the first motor detection a few weeks ago, it was replaced but still…

I’m not seeing any more burned up SC’s than Ubox’s. :man_shrugging:

Our only real option is to risk it at this point. Personally, I feel as tho chip/component mfging is under such stress QC is wavering in favor of keeping production numbers up which trickles down to explode-y products.

2 Likes

The biox hasnt shown a burned up unit yet. Not sure if it’s any different then the ubox V2 but there is atleast one of two in every Bioboard plutonium V2, so far no issues with them, I also havnt really seen a burned up stormcore yet

5 Likes

I could very well be dead wrong (bud) but I believe it used a custom firmware if anything.

1 Like

Xeniths also not great, primarily because they’re unities and unities are flawed but also BKB was supposed to buffer that out with good QC and warranty, and Mario has a box of unfixed DOA ones on top of the “well yeah of course the antispark blew” units out there

4 Likes

I’ve got two and haven’t even had the antispark problem on either yet.
One of them is… mmmmmm… rather abused, as well. The ol red one with a canbus, I’ve put through hell @ 90 amps per motor for quite some time :sweat_smile:
DOA’s kinda seem to be a running problem with most of our esc’s, huh? …at least the dead xenities don’t explode though, right? Lol.
LaCroix seems to be on top of their quality control more than most. I’ll throw that same compliment at maker x.
But on xenities; i trust mine as far as I can throw it at least. They’ve never betrayed me on a settings change or thrown a fault or anything of the sort.
One of them was erasing all my settings at the bottom of every power cycle for a while, actually, but it stopped doing that. Idk. Only issue I’ve had with em.
Not tryna argue against you on your points, either, I definitely trust my stormcore to handle more than my xeniths, and if you’re choosing between the two definitely go stormy.

1 Like

I dont know what bio is doing, but I also havent seen a single nuked biox.

1 Like

I checked; no custom firmware. The only relevant thing I saw that the biox mentions on it’s product page and ubox does not is that it has a thicker than normal pcb with hella copper to support it’s higher max current ratings.
I’m no electrician, but that sounds like it’d be the difference between a functioning esc and a fire all.
As always, though, I could be dead wrong(bud).

1 Like

Yes I though there was a bit more copper in the bioX

Inb4 everyone including spintend decides it’s just the ubox v3

I think there is also less chance for user error, not saying anyone in this thread screwed anything up, I had a V1 that went up in flames just like this, but I think this is always a bit of a factor. Also most BioX are CHIIIIIILLLLIIIIN…in 4wd those things don’t ever like heat up at all. And bioboards mostly makes 4wd, very few 2wd

2 Likes

Under the impression it’s slightly different like how the ones in the kaly are slightly different.

1 Like

I had a pretty bad blow up on a Maker-X Go-FOC DV6 recently. Worked for 2 years strong though. That said it blew a capacitor so bad I thought my battery was on fire.

1 Like

I thought so at first. It spooked me a bit so I just tried to get it out of the way lol.

Let’s get this party started.