75v/100v dual ubox fire

VESC project cant be responsible for other people/companies designing hardware… if this was a trampa ESC thats actually verified by the creator, you have the right to say this tho. (not saying trampa hasnt had troubles)

7 Likes

Quick update to my case. I believe 1 or 2 of the fets blew which were right under the phase wires where the hole is. So to my understanding, voltage or amperage spike due to hitting the bridge extensions?

…or soldering heat damaged one or more FETs, causing at least one to pop when stressed.

2 Likes

or inadequate soldering/heat maybe? :thinking: those SMD power fets can be tricky…

@JesseM has had a ubox fire too

2 Likes

Fuk yeah i did… hit motor detection, and then it did the big woof

3 Likes

I haven’t seen reports of issues since they cleared up the firmware mess to be honest.
From what I gathered VESCTool showed the default firmware as applicable/uploadable when it should not have… which caused some of the issues we’ve seen.

2 Likes

Oof, that brings us to double digits. Will I link this post here as the reference or did you post elsewhere that I didn’t find? Hope you didn’t have anything else burn up as a result, also cheers @glyphiks

2 Likes

Ah ok, do you know roughly when that was? There are posts reporting fire at least as recently as November of this year, could be outdated VESC tool but it’s still causing issues, and if a device needs custom firmware to the extent it’ll catch fire it’s still a problem

1 Like

I had 2 UBOX fires in March/April, running 18s. One fire during the first 5km of riding, the second fire in motor detection after they sent a replacement . For me it was a case of being a guinea pig stuck in the firmware mess in the early stages, but I haven’t heard of many issues recently since they have sorted the firmware out and have released specific instructions for setting up.

6 Likes

VESC is also a software project. This thread is about hardware.

A certain vendor has been trying to create confusion in this space by borrowing the name.

2 Likes

HAHAHA last night i updated back to 6.0 firmware the ubox no longer connects to vesc tool by any method and the red leds are now having a disco rave anytime you turn the thing on.

1 Like

has Spintend released their 6.0 firmware?

2 Likes

it’s officially part of vesc tool. please do not down load it, for me atleast it was very buggy and bricked my ubox

2 Likes

Spintend controllers have to use their custom firmware or you risk popping on detection. I don’t think they’ve released their custom 6.0 version yet, I haven’t heard anything about it.

I would switch back to 5.2/5.3, you can find the firmware files on Spintend’s website

2 Likes

Yeah personally I’m in the “write the firmware once and leave it tf alone” camp, which feels strange to admit for some reason. It seems like new FW features often/usually require new HW, like HFI and a full setup of phase shunt filters. Maybe I just haven’t had enough time or combinations of gear to have encountered big feature or performance increases though

1 Like

Yeah, same here. I was hesitant to even switch to 5.3, but luckily haven’t had any issues yet.

Been hearing a few horror stories regarding 6.0 firmware, so definitely holding off for a while

1 Like

i was the one who told them to put a warning on there website about that.

they literally did a pull request. i even emailed them and they confirmed it
and when i say it bricked it, i mean it has royally fucked it as it can’t even be detected by an st-link and it constantly flashes red

Did you manage to unfuck it with a bootloader reflash or is it still borked?

Have you tried shouting at it yet?

Must be something wrong with h/w now if you can’t swd

1 Like