Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

So I got a horn just because, and I have no clue where to mount it. I like to keep it inside the ESC box, but it’s way larger than I expected, and I don’t have any mounting points. Right now I’m thinking about boring out the mounting tab and attaching it to the on/off switch so I don’t need to drill any more holes, but I’d love to hear more/better ideas!

1 Like

lmao

I also got one of those (Is it a Toyota 36V forklift horn?) and it was also bigger than I expected and I also had trouble mounting it.

That sucker is loud as a motherfucker though.

This is the thing that didn’t make it onto ChortL

I have no clue, but it was $2 on Taobao so I just went “fuck it” and bought one. It’s 12V, but it’s definitely loud. I probably don’t even need to cut a sound hole in my box to hear it well.

1 Like

Oh okay, that’s a different one.

I was referring to Toyota part 58120-20411-71 115dB, 10S - 12S

(it’s loud as balls)

1 Like

So you’re saying something like this would be too overkill? Been thinking of mounting some on my plank.

Actually, this one is even louder than that. Hmmm

2 Likes

That honestly looks like the same thing except with a snail horn to direct the sound forward.

Well yeah I’m not tryinna honk at snails behind me

Noob here, I like to think I know more than your average eskater but still very much learning the ropes. I’m looking for a remote to upgrade from my flysky RC receiver, I’ve been lucky enough not to have connection problems yet but I would definitely like to upgrade to something I won’t have to worry so much about. I’ve obviously been looking at the Hoyt Puck as it seems to be the gold standard for reliability, but I would really prefer real time remote telemetry rather than shelling out for a Davega or Metr. It sounds like people have been having a lot of problems with flipsky remotes and I was wondering are there any other options with spread signal technology similar to the puck? from what I understand the Hoyt puck uses “frequency hopping” much like many hobby grade RC remotes. Are there any remotes with built in telemetry that use this kind of technology? telemetry is important to me, but more so is not being thrown off the board due to signal issues so if a puck really is my only good option I’m willing to sacrifice telemetry but I would really rather not.

Hey guys, I’m about to Setup a maker-x dv4 with a 12s4p p42a battery. Does someone know what cont. current I can go for in vesc for the dv4?

2 Likes

hello i’m planning to build a 10s board with 6374 motors and i’m looking for a cheap esc . i found the esc used for Bone boards to be quite cheap with the remote… (way cheaper than a vesc) it commes at 140 with the remote:

coud you tel me if it’s good quality or if there are other alternatives arround this price point? ( 200max with the remote)
i am quite on a budget so i prefer to be sure before i get it
thx : )

hello i’m planning to build a 10s board with 6374 motors and i’m looking for a cheap esc . i found the esc used for Bone boards to be quite cheap with the remote… (way cheaper than a vesc) it commes at 140 with the remote:

coud you tel me if it’s good quality or if there are other alternatives arround this price point? ( 200max with the remote)
i am quite on a budget so i prefer to be sure before i get it
thx : )

Dropping this Q here. Is there a preferable way to connect your charger to your port?
Meaning do you first plug in your charger to wall socket (turn on charger) or charging port and then turn on the charger.?

1 Like

First wall, then board.

3 Likes

It’s a generic hobby wing esc. You won’t be able to adjust any settings and performance will be meh.

If you’ve never ridden an esk8, you might be ok with it but I feel you may outgrow it quickly.

Buy nice or buy twice.

3 Likes

thx , could you explain what do you mean by low performance ? and what other esc in a similar price range could i get? (i was planning to put around 200 for an esc and a remote)

Underwhelming acceleration. The newer hobby wing escs are a bit better supposedly but I haven’t tried one yet.

Here’s a great list of vesc based escs that you can look through and see what fits your needs for your build. You may even find one that checks all the boxes for sale here for a discount.

The mini remote is quite cheap and pretty darn reliable. Nothing fancy but it generally just works.

4 Likes

thx exactly the info i needed : )

2 Likes

Why do you want to buy the ESC twice? It’s usually cheaper to buy a better one, but only buy it one time. :wink:

Well, asking before clicking buy is definitely smarter. I would say at that price point, why are you DIYing?

But aside from that, IMHO a single drive is better for you. You could use one of those 6374, put it on the rear heelside, buy a mini remote, sell the other 6374, and then have about a $235 budget ($40 less to buy remote, $75 more after selling other motor) to buy a high quality single ESC.

What deck and enclosure and battery have you settled on?