Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

What are your goals? Reliability, svelteness, quietness, or performance? Will you be in snow?

Are there any budgetary restraints?

1 Like

Any chance you could upload another picture of the DV6 heatsink? Just want to see how the fins look instead of the mounting interface.

Theres no fins. The back side that you cant see is the mounting side and its just flat. Fins are overrated

5 Likes

Thermal mass > fins any day.

4 Likes

If you decide to base your drivetrain around mbs trucks, @IDEA makes some nice mounts and pulleys for those trucks/hubs. Alternatively, @Boardnamics has a solid geardrive as well.

3 Likes

Snow Brian. Really? Queensland bro. No snow. Dirt tracks, water but only splashes. You know me, I know how to build a reliable board but just out of touch with the latest gear. Any help would be appreciated.

5 Likes

Ahh okay. For those of us who don’t know offhand the weather in every single locale, I’ve produced a handy quick study guide:

https://www.whatstheweatherlike.org/australia/queensland.htm

3 Likes

Is Queensland somehow less or more of an arid desert than the rest of oz?

1 Like

Brian, you need to get out more and @tech.shit
Australia is beautiful. What you said is akin to saying Africa is one big desert.

This is the view from my back deck. No cacti in sight :sunglasses:

10 Likes

Having never been there I was under the impression it was.

2 Likes

Stormcore I think, if you’re only into 12S then 60D. I haven’t used them but afaik the 100D was initially a bit sketchy at high voltage anyway so you’re likely better off with 60D either way.

For the drivetrain have you got a strong preference on belt Vs gears? Do you care about (or actively want) noticeably loud steel gears? As I understand it a properly setup gear drive is unlikely to need much or any maintenance, but some people say the same about belts if you really dial them in. I haven’t needed to replace belts since I stopped being a complete noob but I don’t go anywhere near terrain or debris that’d get stones lodged in them. BN M1 AT drives look great but I don’t want attention so that noise wouldn’t be my style

1 Like

12s is plenty so thanks bro I’ll look at the storm 60D

2 Likes

It’s been dead nuts reliable for me @ 12s

Try and get one with the + on it though (60d+) as it has a few upgrades to thermals, HFI (sensorless sensors) and opens up a second uart port.

5 Likes

I vend anal. Lets go big boy

2 Likes

Can you still buy a 60D (non +)? I thought they were are replaced / swapped / obsoleted

1 Like

Just in case a swindler tries to sell him a used one

4 Likes

As an alternative, the DV6 has been super reliable for me too even right at its rated current.

1 Like

Hello baby

Here you go brother. Arid desert.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the help
It’s lovely to come back and see the same community spirit. I have a warm glow right now but @Halbj613 just liked something I wrote.

I’m off.

6 Likes