Battle hardening motors

Hey,

I did a quick search and didn’t find a thread on this topic. I found this video about battle hardening motors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MFjzSP5Oiw

Is this a good method for e-skate as well? Anyone has a better way of doing it?

PS: A long time ago when I first saw this youtube channel I thought this guy was @mmaner

13 Likes

Yes, you should battle harden the motors. The method shown is a good method.

You can also tape the magnets and/or 3d print an insert that covers the bearings and allows for epoxy into the gaps of the magnets.

7 Likes

I feel attacked, I’m much better looking and my southern accent is far more attractive.

:slight_smile:

22 Likes

That’s a very well put together video! Makes it look so easy! Thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why the f… nobody read my threads :roll_eyes::tired_face:

24 Likes

Do you do all that to your motors already??

2 Likes

That’s exactly what happened to one of my TB 6354 motors. Sensor stopped working and I wondered if battle hardening could help with that. I guess you answered that question.

4 Likes

I’m having a bit of trouble visualizing this (the 3d printed piece that would help). Would the epoxy have to be in an almost liquid state for this to work?

1 Like

I really like the way @DerelictRobot showed me by taking the can off and attaching it to and drill so that you can spin the can as you drip in ______ (no idea what he used lol jb weld? J/k)

5 Likes

Not at all. If you put the right thoughts in it a 3D printed spacer would be a pretty good idea.

2 Likes

The problem is that the loctite spin idea only works if there is way too less epoxy between the magnets and the loctite can run under the magnets.

3 Likes

The board you riding in the videos, how heavy is it? I can barely get the nose up from my board if i try to turn from a standstill. I rarely do it because getting off,picking it up and adjusting it is far more efficient compared to me trying to jump and turn the nose.

Yeah

I haven’t tried it but @anon54720240 has got a point. Didn’t think about that :sob: Worth a shot though for science.

Back to gluesticks and toothpicks :slight_smile:

1 Like

The white one? 15-17kg depends on which battery is mounted

What’s an alternative for Glass Microspheres? Amazon Canada doesn’t have that. Maybe just epoxy with nothing in it?

This is true. Ultimately I only ended up doing this on motors that were lacking a thick line of epoxy, just to gap fill. I’ve found that ultimately nothing works better than a precise epoxy solid fill between the magnets.

4 Likes

sweet i hear about this motor treatment the first time,

for the purpose of esk8, is it important to also do the stator side ?

Why not? I‘m really curious. Never used some, but also don’t get why not.

No, not 6374…
6384… and i don’t mind a bit of epoxy on the magnets. It’s a 2min job to remove after the epoxy is fully hardened. As min with the one I use.
@akhlut did the most beautiful job I have seen so far and that without need to use any tape or stuff.
But really, with battle harden it’s just what works for you. There are a lot of ways to do it and even if it takes one hour…it still save you lot of troubles later.

3 Likes