Weird motor clicking

Do you know what type of epoxy to use for this?

1 Like

5 minute epoxy with a thickening agent. Micro silica beads. You basically tape the shaft and magnet surfaces and use a syringe to lay a line of material in the area between magnets on the can. You do about 4-6 groves on the 2-4 motors you are working on. Then wait for set. Repeat for 3-4 more rotations.

@b264, the jb weld disciple, might suggest a different/easier to use compound.

1 Like

Can i use the beads from the drying silica packets? Is that even possible or is it dumb?

Think thats a different silica. Dont know if theres anyone who tried, so you could always be the first. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Is there any other thickening agent i could use if i don’t find the good type of silica beads?

The silica is so fine that small air currents in room with windows closed cause them to blow out of container.

It’s not so much that is silica. It’s used because it’s inert, tough, , tiny, and uniformly shaped to help thicken the runny epoxy.

There are other agents you can use.

1 Like

So as long as it’s something small, uniform and fairly strong it should work well?

Why do both motors have a section where there’s no battle hardening?

When all taped up, the hall sensor covers the gap that you would otherwise inject/drip epoxy into. Could be added later. The was a test run.

2 Likes

Would it be possible to use the epoxy without the beads, if you spin the motor so the eboxy doesn’t drip when drying?

Yeah, I had the same idea. Mine looked like shit and needed a lot of acetone clean up.

You could try taping the entire magnet surface leaving gaps to drip in epoxy. I understand the want to fix quickly and get out and skate.

Mock up, not actual syringe.

Just know that epoxy might not completely move to bottom of gap.

3 Likes

Where do you get your silica beads? most of the ones on ebay seem to be too big.
Unless something like this works: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silica-Gel-Desiccant-Granules-Beads-Self-Indicating-Loose-All-Quantities/140688372885?hash=item20c1ae3495:m:mlZwQhgnzZLeA3VW7Hf03sw

These are good

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BR2KQC2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_iCZjEbKH9X24Y

I just opened up the motor with the clicking noise, but there doesn’t seem to be any loose magnets, yet the sound is still there. Could there be a different reason for the clicking?

• bearing
  • adapter mount @ wheel
  • almost anything else
1 Like

Don’t use JB Weld on motors. It actually contains steel and will flow onto the magnets as it’s curing and destroy the motor

4 Likes

I’m using the 6374 motors that come with the Haggy drive system, not sure where Timo sources the motors from tho

So it could be that I’m was just paranoid?

is there a particular brand of epoxy that works well for this? I saw mention of 5 minute epoxy, but i’ve never seen that brand. I ask because heat and epoxy sometimes don’t play well together.

2 Likes

the video in the below thread uses Loctite Epoxy Instant Mix 5 Minute

1 Like