Battle hardening motors

I need to correct me… I can’t do 4 in 10 min :joy:… that world be super quick… 1 in 10. i think thats what is doable with a bit practice.
my old eyes didn’t see that four :roll_eyes:

1 Like

my motors battle harden by me just lookin at them. can do 4 6374s in 2 seconds.

8 Likes

Not this again

6 Likes

if im not using those bubbles to thicken the epoxy, should i keep rotating the can so everything settles evenly ? how do you guys go about that ?

1 Like

I am also battle hardening a LOT of motors, have 10-20 of them to adjust technique. Will make a post and update if people ask :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Either a drill, or some kind of rotisserie setup. You can get epoxy in different viscosities, all the way from almost water-thin, through syrup, honey, and molasses, all the way to peanut butter consistency. If you use thicker epoxy it won’t slump/run as much, but it also won’t get into cracks and crevices as well.

3 Likes

@MysticalDork
So could you do multiple treatments with different kinds for a ultimate battle hardening?
I’ve got some motors from esk8 Jesus himself with a lot of miles. They still run but I think they deserve a makeover.

2 Likes

I guess? What I think I’d do is use really thin epoxy (possibly on a warmed-up motor to further thin it out) spinning to sling it out under the magnets, and then once that’s cured, then smoosh some thicker epoxy into the gaps for added vibration resistance.

5 Likes

I just can’t. Do ya thing snowflake.

2 Likes

Fused silica if you can find it

Like Surfer said, fumed silica or other extremely fine inert particles. The advantage of the glass microspheres/microballoons over fumed silica is that they have a very low mass/density, so they don’t add as much weight to your epoxy while adding a lot of bulk.

2 Likes

You may try to search for “Q-cell filler” for example this one

But as @MysticalDork said basicly any fine filler material may work, glass bubbles/q cells are just very light weight. Very fine sand, lime powder, clay powder/bentonite/kaolin or talcum (bayby powder unscented) do all work well to thicken epoxys.
Kaolinite and talcum both are very easy to sand and are most often the filler material in puttys of all sorts.

2 Likes

Why would using microspheres be better? Wouldn’t just solid epoxy be stronger?

1 Like

as far as i know, you can mix epoxy to a great degree with fillers before it starts losing strength, and those spheres just make it lighter by doing so - thats my halfwit explanation atleast

1 Like

Ah, okay.

So, lighter, but more risk of a procedural error

3 Likes

Is this a common practice in esk8?

i diddnt know of it before too, but it seems most or all the sophisticated builders here do this, as it can potentionally increase motor life greatly

I don’t think many builders do this, but it’s quickly gaining popularity. Especially as we break motors.

3 Likes

gaining popularity… dont talk to your friends about this, the number of motors i have to treat just doubled from 4 to 8 :speak_no_evil:

2 Likes

Yup, this was my issue too. Without realising, I’ve busted the HALL sensors on 2 ESCs with a motor with internal shorting issues which could have been solved with battle hardening/general epoxy-ing.

You used JB Clearweld, do you think its too viscous to do more than 2-3 magnets at once? I have about 50 motors to battle harden and I’m already thinking about jigs and other things. If I can successfully harden them I might be able to open a repair & hardening service economically, but obviously baby steps.