What's the best Vesc for my first board?

That’s great news :heart_eyes:, I was a bit scared to try it!

1 Like

It’s just that the startup sound of HFI is a bit annoying. :expressionless:

2 Likes

I was thinking about that :joy:, but I imagine outside with other noises it won’t be noticeable much, as long as dogs don’t start chasing me!!!

1 Like

The commutation noise is what gets dogs upset, it doesn’t matter if HFI is on or not. You can’t hear the sound that pisses them off.

1 Like

No one runs pure sensored. You run hybrid and set the sensorless cutoff at like 5000 erpm, no problems. Vesc switches to sensorless mode after passing that point for full efficiency, so this isn’t really an argument against them

I love my sensors and will stand by them but I have had to repair a few sensor wires in my day. Really depends on how they are packaged if they will outlast the motor or not

It is confusing to setup to be honest tho

3 Likes

Definitely take two motors you won’t regret it at all! If you do take two I suggest you upgrade to 10s3p if you really stick with 10s2p a single motor is a bit better for range.

For vescs: this is pretty good

You can also find some second hand single focboxes around on the forum too they are still great especially for a setup like yours.

3 Likes

After the startup sound witch I like my board have never run better I’m glad one of my Sensors broke… I was into a 7 mile ride last week home after leaving my van in for a service it felt so good I took the long way home… Hfi all the way…

1 Like

One of my favourite builds from 2017 was a single motor
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZGP4DZlgKs/?igshid=az0sqs3qzwip

5x 2s Lipos 192kv motor 1.6 focbox
This board used to look for Hills to climb
:joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

My board I like the most is similar, 10S 190Kv FOCBOX 1.6, despite dual drives sitting right next to it. It will eat any hill around here.

1 Like

A single 6374 or dual 6355 is pretty decent, single for weight savings and dual for better brakes.
Dual 6374 puts a wide grin on my face every time but is quite heavy.

As for the vescs, I found that things start to go from meh to fun at around 2500W so get something that can handle that and you’re good to go

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback so far guys! I don’t know what HFI is, so I guess I should look into that. And I’m leaning towards a sensorless dual 6374 setup just to be on the safe side.
But I see that no one wanted to reply to my question about Mboards :sweat_smile:
I don’t want to start any drama or anything, I’m just genuinely curious as to why not choose them. Also what’s a good alternative then (favorably without shipping over 30-40 usd)? Can I potentially buy a Meepo battery to use in my diy? Are those just plug and play or do I need a extra BMS or anything like that?

MBoards batteries have been of questionable build quality and overpriced (based on the quality you get), there are a lot of better alternatives.

I would get a meepo battery before a MBoards battery, but better yet get a custom battery from someone on the forum. Also, ask @kook about MBoards, he has some strong opinions about them.

Get the best battery you can afford, there is a lot of energy stored in our packs, and the potential for fire or injury is very real if the battery is not built properly.

Check out these threads, there are a few people missing from the wiki that make very nice batteries, you can check what people have made in the other thread:

3 Likes

@b264 Hey brian, what max battery amps are more realistic? I’ve killed some escs and maybe that’s what i’m doing wrong

1 Like

It’s really common in my opinion to get the idea that you need to set “battery max” really high to fit in with the “cool kids” who build one million dollar boards that may or may not break down all the time.

But lowering that to a reasonable level is the quickest way to make your board more reliable. On a single drive, 30A battery max is plenty, and on a dual drive, 20A+20A is plenty. You will get tons of performance from that without overdriving all your parts and being plagued by failures. Save that drama for the folks who are chasing that.

Also don’t confuse “battery max” with “motor max”. Motor max should be high. Like 60A to 110A (-ish) depending on the motor… regardless of your battery max setting.

5 Likes

Brian is also the oldest guy on the block take that for what it’s worth.

1 Like

I’m out skating while you’re still working on boards at home though :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I like picking rocks and frying stuff. its peaceful and exiting you need that mix in your life, or you get old and boring.

2 Likes

to be fair I am searching for any topics about Mboards battery packs or pics inside and I got nothing.

1 Like

I can help you out with a battery if you are still in need.

I was replying to @2rill :smile: