Rusins' 1st Mountainboard | Trampa Holypro | Jump drives | 12s8p

Finished the motor wire extensions:

Figured out the sensor problem; vescs weren’t set to use 5V. There’s a switch on the inside:

Tore the griptape off the board:

Cleaned up the leftover glue with WD40 and paper towels. Nice!

Then I dremelled the Trampa logo off the wings:

Drilled a lot of holes for the wings:

My board really looking like Swiss Cheese now:

Routed the wires underneath:

I need to leave the wires long so that I can still open the box. In hindsight I probably should have added the cable glands to the long side of the box (then I could fit all 8), and route the wires under the box to that side. Well, since my box mounting pattern is 8x8cm, I could still rotate my existing box, but the wires aren’t long enough :confused:

Also, the 4 rubber anti-vibration mounts move a bit more than I’d like them too. Maybe I shouldn’t have gone with the M5 ones. I don’t feel comfortable using my box handle to lift the whole weight of the board with these. :confused:

Anyway, added butyl tape above the bolts on the inside:

And used velcro to attach all the little bits and bobs. Still using my 12s3p travel battery, with some foam blocks around it. Gonna take it for a spin tomorrow :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Oh, and I also had to tighten my matrix 2 kingpin nuts. Need to buy additional ones to stop them from coming loose.

As soon as I can buy moon drives with steel gears I’ll swap this winter setup to the summer setup with apex airs on the front, and luna hanger at the back w/ 8" wheels. So I’ll have 2 drive-trains I can swap back and forth. Maybe I should get another deck and swap the box back and forth :thinking: (or just save some money, lol)

4 Likes

That looks like a lot of holes in your deck at kinda critical areas if you plan to jump with it

1 Like

Ah shit man, I could have told you that. Had the same issue on my last project, but just read your post which was 18 days ago … :man_facepalming:
Luckily you figured it out :ok_hand:
Why trampa does ship their escs out with the sensor port set to 3.3V??? :see_no_evil:

Because Trampa’s motors run on 3.3V.

1 Like

First ride untethered

Short pressure-wash later:

I removed the battery for this test. Afterwards there were a few drops of water in the enclosure. Not sure if I left those there by accident, or if water did manage to get in. Well, hopefully it only happens when washing.

On some surfaces the vibrations are insane, my glasses were shaking! But the 9" wheels definitely helped, will be interesting to see how the Airs compare.

But damn, mountainboarding is fun! Like really fun! Kinda wish I just bought an Apex predator instead of spending all this time building my own, lol.

Also idk how but I managed to climb this icy hill. I was so surprised I asked my dad to film it:

18 Likes

Nice man. Certainly not afraid of getting her dirty.

I do not think I’ll ever have the confidence in my waterproofing to pressure wash a board! Compressed air for me.

5 Likes

Does compressed air work well? :open_mouth:

Well enough. You can buy it in pressure pack cans too (and safe on electronics if you get dust in enclosure). I’ve got the pressure pack cans at home but if i ever go to my brother’s place I’ll use his compressor.

2 Likes

Bad. Ass.

Killing it dude!

3 Likes

That Is a TANK!! it looks really nice, great work!!!

3 Likes

Thanks! Quite lightweight for a tank. Definitely forgetting about the battery in a backpack idea for the foreseeable future lol

4 Likes

I use an DIY electric mountain for downhill and I prefer to have my battery in my back pack for weight distribution. I use 3 break out points with fuses in case I fall or just get off my bike and forget about the battery and just rip it. I’m really interested about these nese packs. What is holding the cells tight together? Is it the neoprene style material on the back of the strip or the screws somehow? Thanks

1 Like

Yeah, there’s neopreme behind the nickel coated copper tabs that hold the cells tight. But it looks like it might not be tight enough. I’m reconsidering using NESE for this now, since the vibrations while riding on uneven ground are definitely more extreme than what I felt on my urethane street build :frowning:

1 Like

I’ve decided to not go with a 12s6p NESE. See the discussion in my other build-thread about the arcing issues I’ve experienced:

Also, some of the salvaged 40T cells I bought from Nkon have physical dents / bulges on the negative terminals. So I don’t have enough cells for 12s6p + 12s3p for my brother + 12s4p for @RDs . The box I’m using is large enough for a vertically-oriented 12s7p, or for 2 rows of stagger-stacked 12s4p batteries. Now, I have enough good cells for RDs’s 12s4p and for a 12s8p, so I think that’s what I’ll go for.

Question is – do I connect these 2 4P rows as a single 12s8P battery, or as 2x 12s4p batteries with their own BMS? Having 2 smaller batteries sounds nice, because then I could just remove one if I want to decrease weight for jumping :smiley: On the other hand, I’d need to charge them separately, and that could be quite annoying… What do people think?

I had a 4wd board that had two seperate escs powered by two seperate batteries with their own bms but i charged them together through one charge port. It was a Meepo AWD GT.
My knowledge of batteries is poor so not sure if it’s possible but maybe you can have two 12s4p batteries with their own BMS connected in parallel (to enable you to remove one for jumping) that can be charged together if connected to same charge port?? Just a thought? Might be a shit thought haha

Edit: unless you just meant that if they were disconnected you need to charge them separately. In that case, yes a bit annoying and everything i just typed was a waste haha.

That would definitely be a safe option for charging them. But then when connecting I have to make sure all p-groups are fully charged so that they’re at the same voltage level. It’s not a horrible idea tbh.

2 Likes

I want to mount a shredlight at the front of my board, but because of the angled deck + wide baseplates, I can’t use regular shredlights mounts. Their action mount that uses the go-pro mount would be perfect. Anyone know where I could find a mount like the one xboard sells in Europe?

2 Likes

Search Amazon on metal or aluminum GoPro mount. There should be something to be found.

1 Like

What about 3d-printing a mount? For a light, it should be sturdy enough ^^