How to make an XT90 Loop Key

Yes, as @xsynatic showed, that external hole is easy to see and easy to fill – just dip a tiny shred of paper in epoxy and stick it to the back.

The female has holes that are much harder to notice in the first place, and harder to fill since they actually go inside to the contact surface of the electrodes. You do NOT want to get sealer or epoxy inside those little holes, but they do need to be sealed when using the male end for the key.

It’s just a fuckton better to use the female part as the key, and the male part on the vehicle.

2 Likes

8 Likes

Nice!

I think i still have 10 or so meters of copper wire in the attic. I just need to remove the insulation, can’t remember how thick it is.

2 Likes

I’ve then filled the end with black HMA and sliced off the excess with a razor for a nice clean finish on the end cap. JB weld would probably be even better.

I prefer to leave a hole to put a loop of nylon string through, for ease of pulling it out.

3 Likes

No, those won’t work. They will melt themselves when you plug them in, and maybe make you poop your pants a tiny bit as well.

You have to use XT90S version for loop keys.

1 Like

@ceasium

Either one of these works as long as one of them has the xt90s

Bottom one might be cheaper because you can make more keys for less money but depending on how you secure the “non-key” part it’ll be a bitch to get removed IF the Antispark part blows.

_20220518_161526
PicsArt_05-18-04.15.09

5 Likes

So the XT90s cannot handle higher voltages like 20s. The resistor blows after one or two uses.

Has anyone made a loop key out of a high voltage anti-spark connector like the Jeti AFC connector?

3 Likes

I’ve seen quite a few AS-150 used.

1 Like

I think I remember an STL of a holder for AS150 connectors, so they stay in the board and you just slide it over to make or break the connection

1 Like

you have a lead on that STL? sounds like exactly the power switch/contactor I’m looking for!

Sounds like something @glyphiks did

1 Like

@glyphiks designed one like this. I hear he takes payments in gen-z memes, directly to his inbox. He prefers that each meme comes in it’s own separate PM thread.

I think the going rate is 14 memes = .stl file

4 Likes

I would love to take credit for that design, but that was one of the only things left for us from our old mate @deckoz

8 Likes

Anyone reading this thread, if you haven’t seen this, see it:

4 Likes

One day i will get around to designing the captured version of this. One day… once manually unplugging both my xt90s get old enough

2 Likes

I did this but pushed out the contacts with my soldering gun just to be sure.

1 Like

This is really nice, I love it.

The only issue I see is the tiny lip which won’t allow it to insert fully into the male side. Any way to get rid of the lip and shorten it a tiny bit?

5 Likes

That’s a solid point! I’ll take a look and see.

1 Like

Looks good besides that small lip problem. I’m going to need to make one for QS8

1 Like