help! broken motor on my plutonium

hey there, I got a stranded bioboard plutonium with a broken motor that was making weird noises after I got caught up with a blizzard/thunderstorm - yesterday it died/locked up and I can’t get the motor gear off and have no idea what could be wrong with the motor. I suspect the huge bearing in it is broken, but I can’t get specific infos neither from maytech nor bioboards, as their support is kind of overwhelmed with new customers they say, they offered me whatsapp comms but I can’t use that due to privacy concerns… so I signed up on here…

4 Likes

Yeah, good choice, there’s never any privacy breaches here

15 Likes

If its a maytech 6396 motor @brown5tick might know whats wrong. Ive heard he had to replace a bearing too one time, not sure it was due to water damage though.

Edit: seems like a similar problem

7 Likes

If its one of the motors with the big outer bearing, a single tear could seize those up lol

4 Likes

Probably yes, I still have a set laying around. I’m reluctant to use them because ive heird about quite a few issues with them.

Gotta grease them often or something idk

1 Like

That would help for sure I guess, but the ones I have are the first batch which had the small m3 bolts keeping everything together :rofl: That was fixed on the bioboard versions though as I recall.

Personally, most reliable motor I’ve run yet.

6 Likes

yea, it’s a 6396 but it seems to be a special version of it, as between the gear and the mounting plate there is another part which makes it very hard to leverage the gear off the shaft (there is about 0.5mm clearance between gear and this part) tried to post an image, but I can’t embed pictures nor add links to pictures.

Do they use salt on the roads in portland?

4 Likes

don’t worry, nobody needs to know my real name, my real location, or anything real about me, I just have this problem and usually try to not use facebook or related services, bioboards is a bit overwhelmed with emails, and apart from that replies mostly only on fb, which I did not have before dealing with bb. (well I had fb, but I deleted it ages ago, on the other hand I was one to start using it before anyone else, yes I’m old and got late to the esk8 train :slight_smile:

1 Like

Heeeeeell no. They just sprinkle weed on em.

4 Likes

literally wouldn’t be surprised

hey there, thanks for all the useful reply finds, it’s probably the bearing then, btw 2 of my other 3 motors also have a high pitch whining sound since this thunderstorm/soaking (yea I got soaked, cleaned my board afterwards but bioboard recommended (after the fact) that I use compressed air after such rides especially on the motors. with my cheapo evolve gtx when getting soaked the esc would die, but the motors would always be fine, they only die when I try to go up a mountain for too long (Evolve GTX)

I guess it’s best if I order replacement bearings asap - just need to know where, it would help if I can source them in europe.

btw, the tool in the top right seems like nice tool for extracting bearings, which I also don’t have… lol I am not prepared for this at all, I already failed with the gear on the shaft :slight_smile:

You may as well just remove the bearing and not replace it

Official gear puller, works really well.

Feel free to email me as-well, not sure where you are located but I am the service rep for Bioboards in North America

Artem.sdr@gmail.com

5 Likes

oh, so it’s not even integral to the functioning of the motor? website says they put it there “to avoid shake” which probably means it somehow dampens hits, and I kind of had problems with the plutonium and off-road experience already, like, uh, “hits” having loosened up the geardrive mounts (the ones that fix what is called “hub” to the axle via 4 m6 grub screws) to a degree they seem to fall off, so I will need to weld the geardrives to the axles or get a trampa instead.

where are you riding this thing lol

1 Like

Every other motor doesnt have this bearing, and they work fine.

very mountainous region where I live, at the base of a valley there always is a river and good roads, I got myself the plut 4x4 cause I needed ample reserves when doing massive continuous inclines to reach the so called timber line - leading up to this there are usually steep forest roads with the obligatory rain-drains which essentially shake and hit my board a little too hard I guess. apart from that I use it to get far and wide on paved bike paths which connect cities to each other, but these are no problem for the board. I’m actually quite happy with it, especially cause I can really hit the throttle on the steepest of inclines, doing 4-wheel spinning-through wheels on the steepest of inclines leaving a noticable trail of rubbles and when I arrive I still have 2-4 bars of 10 left on the 40t battery which gives ample power to two powerful stormcore ESCs powering super powerful motors, so I really don’t want to shit on bioboards at all :wink: if I had tried this with an AT setup on my evolve GTX, the motors would have burnt out not even half of the way, with the plutonium the motors only get luke-warm after such an incline-menace to the feet of a rather heavy rider. - which is kind of nice. - still, it’s probably not quite made for the things I put it through - anyways, thanks for the input everyone! :+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes