help! broken motor on my plutonium

hey there, thanks for the advice, will get back at you once this tool arrives - I ordered this as I will likely have to service all motor bearings, or even as @jack.luis suggested - remove them. thankfully bioboards picked up on my current issue (the motor) over an email-convo about the gear-drives-getting-loose-issue, and stated they would send me a slightly used replacement motor, so the waiting game starts, what will arrive first, the tool or the motor - will keep you posted.

• in the meantime, I was wondering whether and how I should remove the front motors at all and use them in a mountainboard build. I was somehow expecting the plut 4x4 to have some kind of traction control, as currently when I try to lean too hard in turns while accelerating, the “facing-outwards” front-wheel loses traction and starts spinning super fast, a more efficient 4x4 would detect this and siphon the power to the wheels which actually have traction. maybe a thought for the future and/or other 4x4 esk8 builders. also, the front seems to get the biggest share of all the vibrations on my ride, having heavy motors on the front axle was likely the reason why the gear-drives got loose way bf4 the rear ones. actually I had opened them (front geardrives) 4-5 times already to re-tighten, while so far I never had to open the rear geardrives, they wiggle just slightly. on one of my trips I got to meet a guy who does all kinds of welding so I’ll likely ask him for the alu-weld-job.
1 Like

This is a limitation in the VESC firmware, there is no 4x4 support. That’s something I’d like to look into development of though.

4 Likes

inb4 andrew says my idea is dumb

edit: Damn, I was too slow

2 Likes

Yeah those maytechs are not gonna be happy if you remove that bearing imo.

I wouldn’t call you dumb, but you sure are perdy.

2 Likes

lol set traction control max erpm difference to 0 and go rock crawling

2 Likes

Still only works as two isolated 2wd systems.

1 Like

eeyuh gyeeuh gyeeuh

4 Likes

Oh I see, because it’s not getting erpm data over CAN from the other ESC. Damn.

Does this cause issues for you @NoWind ?

2 Likes

Actually, can bus comms provides everything needed to implement, but afaik it’s just not been done yet and the number of 4wd boards is pretty small compared to 2wd. Hard to invest a ton of time into features that benefit 1% of the userbase. But I’d like to look into it.

3 Likes

being able to essentially “lock the dif” on both ends in concert would be kind of amazing.

3 Likes

Are you sure of that? I remember @glyphiks having problems with braking due to traction control and 4x4 boards, but never saying it doesn’t work

I also remember Jed Boards doing some demos with 4x4

But if that is the case my plans are ruined

1 Like

What’s needed is a primary controller + a virtual differential control loop. I guess I should dig around ROS and see if anyone has done this work yet; it’s a basic concept but 4wd BLDC is at this scale is probably less ubiquitous.

I’m not 100% positive, and it’s been quite awhile since I’ve tested it myself (Jan 2019 was the last time I built a 4wd), but I recall front/rear being decoupled. I don’t recall seeing any release notes that would indicate it’s been implemented, but perhaps I’m wrong and the board I was working on was the culprit.

Regardless; this method of “traction control” won’t work well in it’s current implementation. 4WD is not the same as 4x4, my expectation would be that a proper 4x4 implementation would not work via erpm constraints alone.

it would be a total shame if you developed this, it worked, and more money went into freesk8 because of it.

5 Likes

I feel like we’re gonna need an ESC at some point. We will get there.

4 Likes

With robogotchi built-in I hope :drooling_face:

1 Like

Now. We need them now. There is literally only one “really good” ESC out there right now, and as awesome as it is, it needs a few cool features that esk8 requires.

and yeah, integrate some discreet boxes to save space for battery. like location services (social AND security) and light control.

2 Likes

Got it, will test in a while since I have a 4WD in the works and certainly will need a decent traction control, if it doesn’t work I will dig into the code and see if there is some easy way to implementing it

2 Likes

so I just got wind that the plutonium actually does have a traction control option in the vesc tool or metr app - will try it out once I get my motor unlocked, I have no blowtorch atm so I can’t remove the sprocket from the shaft, a heatgun won’t do either, or will it? there’s green loctite and I don’t want to damage the motor by overheating it too much by heating it up too slowly. the instructions I got from bioboard uses a blowtorch…

:::update:::

guess what, finally managed to get this thing opened with tons of heat and flat screwdrivers, turns out a piece of the magnet got shattered, and seemed to have locked up in between the magnets which then blocket rotation, the big ball bearing is actually fine, except it’s rather loud - will try some wd40 on the bearing to tone it down, and about the shattered magnets, well, would you still use this? no more debris is coming off and I removed the blocking piece.

1 Like

there’s no editing posts in here, is there? - anyways, inspected the can from outside, and there is a small dent in it from debris, it’s likely the cause for the broken magnet.