FULL SUSPENSION BOARDS

If only it were more mechanically simple

2 Likes

Yeah all the small parts work together to create the maintenance nightmare that is Baja’s (from what I’ve heard)

I guess if you overdesign enough none of them should break, but there will always be that one person that figures out how to break it

1 Like

3 wheelers allowed, 2 wheelers with no steering

5 Likes

One of the people near my parents house owns one of these things, I thought it looked really cool

It was wider though

2 Likes

NOW ITS GETTING ITS OWN THREAD

1 Like
1 Like

For the discussion of the mechanics we have this special thread here! or sharing CAD drawings too :wink:

My question is only about what I cannot see inside the center of the truck there, how the shocks are mounted. I feel like they could also give steering resistance if they would be bolted to the base part or separate steering springs/bushings could be used and the shocks are connected to the main kingpin and are unaffected in steering.
Oh if the shocks are attached to the base then moving them closer and farther away from the kingpin would give you higher ride height and stiffness, I am sure it is fine stock but custom making a more adjustable base would sure be fun!

From my very limited understanding of ideal wheel traction for handling in corners having weight shift to your inner wheel to remain more balanced when experiencing G-forces in the turn keeping all wheels with good contact and force driven forwards, So having the suspension stiffness linked to the steering does sound ideal.

1 Like

this is a thing

1 Like

Can someone redpill me on full suspension boards? I don’t understand the use case completely, I only understand the idea in concept…

To me it seems like they are
-very heavy
-lots of moving parts with breakage/failure potential
-difficult to do any jumps on(often strapless boards or lack of that trampoline ability you’d use to hop sidewalks.
-generally non functional/useful suspension aside from when you step on it

Overall they appear gimmiky as they seem to provide only a little bit of suspension. It kind of reminds me of those shoes for “comfort” that have a super cushiony sole made of memory foam. In the end you find out that the foam feels good in the hand, but when wearing it they instantly flatten and provide no soft cushion after bottoming out. The case I see with these boards is that jumping on top shows the shocks dipping, but when riding at say 20-30mph, they do nothing on potholes and other road hazards as the shocks do not compress and decompress at proper speed or depth.

I come from a trampa board that has a decent flex. I get amazing trampoline jumps up to sidewalks and have decent shock absorption in the board especially when landing jumps. My current opinion right now is that a trampa style board is more superior in almost all cases except high speed 25mph+. I have the suspension built in with no moving parts or additional weight, and straps kick up the off road capability to crazy levels of control. Not to mention the ground clearance on a upward curved board with a top mount.

I have ridden an ecomobil 4wd suspension board and my impression was that it was not very enjoyable. I immediately missed the springy deck of a trampa and was not impressed with its “shocks” on tree roots. It seemed to have much worse control.(maybe it was a bad board but it did run the guy something like 3000 which at the time was almost 1000 more than my diy trampa

Am I incorrect? What is your experience with suspension? If you can please compare it to a trampa.

I’m genuinely curious, it just seems odd to me right now. (Sorry if it’s a bad opinion, I have an open mind that has not been exposed to any decent positives with these suspension types.)

10 Likes

yep.

5 Likes

i saw that earlier and went “lol a little ouchies. foster would love the up close suspension pic”

correct me if im wrong, but it seems like steering on that functions more like stooges 3 links. which, i have been dreaming of a hydraulic shock version of for a while. like if the nkp and etoxx’s psychoframe had a little street board baby.

2 Likes

The closest trucks to NKP are … 3-links in general

Some goofy shit iv had in my head for a couple of years.
Could be great, could be crap. For now on the back burner till the V-5 is finalized.
Will be 12kw awd two motor when I get back to it. Live axel in the back, differential in the front.
Air ride, shock angle, steer angle, track angle, ride height is all adjustable. 9x4 Pnumatics with 5.5" rear suspension, 3.75" front.

15 Likes

the flexy deck kids are gonna have a fit. that thing is B O U N C Y.

2 Likes

Shock dampening, rebound rates & or tie down will be tuning tools to be used for sure. Front to rear spring rate bias is where to start. There is a ton of work to do. Take an educated guess, test, tweek, chop, cut, repeat the process till you get an acceptable result. Suspension fine tuning is when to begin playing with dampening rates.

6 Likes

Close enough. makes me think about how what @moestooge was showing there could possibly be made to fit some kinds of traditional decks.

Has anyone ever seen higher ride on a mtb?? looks taller than the PSYCHOFRAME lol. well no crap, it has adjustable ride… but tallest I can think of.

also reminds me of @Arzamenable deck on a deck kinda build. It is a custom formed part not a deck chopped and bolted btw.

10 Likes

would like to see it riding

1 Like

✓Board
✓Suspension Fully

I don’t think Dan will make an account here and a thread to discuss so I will.

12 Likes

That is an intense video haha. Opens with the Wright Brothers and MLK Jr. to unveil an Australian track board.

Interesting…

-Speed 50kms/hr (31 miles/hr)
-Run time- Approx 40mins, based on average rider weight of 75kgs, averaging a speed of 25kms on a flat circuit.
-240V battery charger, you remove your battery from the vehicle, place in charger, charge time is 8 hrs (Note: we also have a 4hr fast charger! See upgrades below)
-A very lower centre of gravity.
-A huge reduction in weight from 99 pounds (45 kilos) down to 43 pounds (19.5 kilos) going from 4 stroke internal combustion to electric.
-An increased ground signature yet reduced frictional elements within the tracks.
-4 x times the surface drive area of a motor cross bike, but just 20% of it’s weight.
-A central flex point with adjustable shock absorber including lock out to aid drifting.
-Fast change/swap-out of central battery pack. Reputable Samsung Lithium Ion batteries!!!
-100% waterproof wireless controller, vehicle is splash proof.
-Centrally mounted internal drive brushless hub motors within the drive rollers (proudly designed in house).

1 Like