Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

I followed the “hard way” instructions here for a few 51822 modules and it worked well. Same process on the 52840 just different firmware.

1 Like

Flipsky FSESC 6.6 the first connection with motor and it shows this pic?
whats wrong?

looks like your hall sensors and temp sensor aren’t connected

There are bigger issues than that.

Can you check your motor phase wire connections and/or send photos of them?

3 Likes

does anyone know a thread about how to pack/mount/prepare an eMTB top box?

I’m stuck at the “battery in a pelican case” stage ind idk how to proceed.

yeah I’ve searched but I couldn’t find a thread about it.

1 Like

I don’t think there’s a dedicated thread for packing/mounting top boxes but these should be somewhat helpful. I’d also look at some other build threads w top boxes and get some inspiration there.

4 Likes

This one has a bunch of photos but not specifically about mounting to deck.

My Space Invader build thread has good steps listed in the first post.

7 Likes

hmm, looks like most of these have the ESC on the rear. as I don’t have a good small enclosure to do that and some space in my battery box I was gonna shove all the electronics in the pelican case and just have phase wires coming out.

You could drill an extra hole through your deck to route the wires underneath it to go from the ESC to the motors. That way you don’t need to worry about standing on them and being able to feel them on your feet.

Or route in some channels into the top of the deck and put the wires under the grip tape, but then you’d be removing more material from the deck which might cause issues depending on the deck.

I thought about this, but wouldn’t this defeat the purpose of to-mounting for clearance? or… I could print some wire covers for the underside that would be a thing.

I still don’t know the best way to adhere this pelican case to the plank.

this is another good thought, APEX-style, it’s one of those cheap AliExpress MTB decks with the lion graphic. just wanna get it rolling for now and upgrade it later.

How large are your wires? If you arrange them to lie flat on the deck you’d only be adding an extra 1-2cm max under the deck. If you’re doing some super heavy duty off-roading on rocks then you might want to add something over the wires to protect them. Easiest option would be add some epoxy on top of them so they can’t get cut by rocks.

Nicest looking option would be some form of metal shield but it would take up more space and I don’t know of anything you can just outright buy that would work.

I don’t have a mountain board set-up but I would just use some good sized bolts to attach it to the deck. You could get some galvanized steel wood ties to use on the underside to prevent the bolts from sinking into the wood. They’re kind of ugly but they’re cheap at any big box hardware store.

literally the main purpose of this build, is to take it into the rocky mountains and ride trails that the SUV struggles on. Sharp Rocks are as common as the bugs up there.

Pg21 cable gland fits sensor wires and motor wires for 2 motors just fyi

4 Likes

3 Likes

I stand corrected :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Apparently I meant a mending plate not a wood tie. The ones that I was thinking would work best look like these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-5-in-Black-Hammered-Mending-Plate-4-Pack-12934/315016070 They have cheaper ones available in the stores but I can’t find them online.

I forgot that people have foot straps on mountain boards. Putting them under like that is smart

1 Like

hmm, I’m starting to have a mountain of holes to drill and tap on this deck… where do I start…

street was so much easier by comparison, just holes along the enclosure edge and build it like a sandwich

You don’t really need to tap any of the holes on the deck if it is wood. Just use a good lock washer and it should hold it just fine. Just add more bolts if you are concerned about it coming loose, or use locktite but that may make it permanent. You’re holding the battery down to the deck which is easier than mounting stuff under the deck.

1 Like

by “tap” I mean threaded insert

1 Like

By far the best mounting method for top boxes I believe is the trampa dog bone. It has two sets of threaded holes so you can bolt down into it through your battery box, and bolt up from the underside of your deck.

I haven’t used the apex stomp pads but they look to be an excellent solution for routing wires without impacting the deck. I had a crack at my own stomp pads using some dense rubber sheet a while back

It worked great, but rubber is super heavy so if weight is a concern, the stomp pads would be a better solution.

3 Likes