Beginner Question Thread! 2023 Edition

3 Likes

I stand corrected :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Apparently I meant a mending plate not a wood tie. The ones that I was thinking would work best look like these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-5-in-Black-Hammered-Mending-Plate-4-Pack-12934/315016070 They have cheaper ones available in the stores but I can’t find them online.

I forgot that people have foot straps on mountain boards. Putting them under like that is smart

1 Like

hmm, I’m starting to have a mountain of holes to drill and tap on this deck… where do I start…

street was so much easier by comparison, just holes along the enclosure edge and build it like a sandwich

You don’t really need to tap any of the holes on the deck if it is wood. Just use a good lock washer and it should hold it just fine. Just add more bolts if you are concerned about it coming loose, or use locktite but that may make it permanent. You’re holding the battery down to the deck which is easier than mounting stuff under the deck.

1 Like

by “tap” I mean threaded insert

1 Like

By far the best mounting method for top boxes I believe is the trampa dog bone. It has two sets of threaded holes so you can bolt down into it through your battery box, and bolt up from the underside of your deck.

I haven’t used the apex stomp pads but they look to be an excellent solution for routing wires without impacting the deck. I had a crack at my own stomp pads using some dense rubber sheet a while back

It worked great, but rubber is super heavy so if weight is a concern, the stomp pads would be a better solution.

3 Likes

The dog bone is smart. I just drilled 3 holes through the box and the deck, put washer in between and screwed it down with a locknut.

2 Likes

I love it. Not only does it make install easy and super secure, it also allows for super easy quick removal of the box, so you could use the same battery for multiple boards, or use hot swap boxes.

Such a simple little product, but it’s genius.

1 Like

Inside the box

Underneath

Between box and deck

3 Likes

I wish i knew this existed when i mounted mine lol

1 Like

I never would have known it existed had my customer not insisted on using that wretched trampa box. Was definitely a silver lining of that build.

2 Likes

Those things are the biggest PITA ever.

1 Like

Yeah big unrecommend from me.

2 Likes

Recently started encountering a really loud whine on my motors only when max duty cycle is reached. Nothing in my setup has changed, and under 90%-ish it sounds totally normal. It definitely wasn’t there before either, so what could it be? Flipsky 6374 BH on a Ubox v1 FW 5.1

Need some help and not sure what the root problem is. I bought some used Flipsky BH motors but one kept coming up sensorless on motor detection. The problem didn’t follow the motor. I changed to 5.1 fw and noticed an over charge fault. Ran motor detection multiple times and sometimes the motors spin and sometimes they don’t.
Now on fw5.1 and the battery won’t stay on. Sometimes it’ll stay on for 90 seconds, other times less than 3 seconds.
Plug the battery into my other build and the problem persist.
Plugged the charger in and I get a strobing red light.
The battery is brand new and has only been used for motor detection.

bms issue? discharge bypass? what’s the voltage for each pgroup?

This is my guess but I believe it was running fine before today. It’s a modular bms from Mboards, and I believe discharge is bypassed.

I don’t currently have a multimeter though that will change today.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: is this a thing?
it would be easier to probe the battery and see if there is any physically issue before swapping out for anther bms

I’ll have to see what I can find at Walmart or Amazon

3 Likes