All-terrain E-freeboard

Yeah true ig it would be a different throttle experience maybe

1 Like
2 Likes

Hmmm that doesn’t actually look too bad.

1 Like

So my thoughts I would throw in is, powered edge wheels might have a place… imo more for street as was just shown looks pretty fun. However for off road I can’t see it really being awesome… the amount of power and traction possible with rubber wheels… would lead to wipeouts in my guestimate.

Now to take this comment in a completely different direction. If you want more off road ability and aren’t attracted to 6wd you could go Hoverskater style hovercraft skirt. Prob can get away with ~2 powered castors and cover some seriously rough but not too sharp ground.

1 Like

Wait so the edges are powered? Im so confused whats happening in the video. Is it both the center and edge?

1 Like

no that was just the outer edge wheels with hub motors, “normal” Freebord 5-X center wheel. Pretty clear at like 4min.

It sure can, but the question is why do you want to do that?

Do you want to be able to go up-hill and then shred down as a regular freeboard or do you want to shred the city like a Summerboard? Neither is impossible but you have to give up some of the center wheel features that come with the Summerboard.

If you want to carve-up a hill you need to have an all-wheel drive to have the power to get you up-hill, one motor at a time will probably not work. So instead of two center motors on a center powered setup you end up with four motors and two ESC’s.

To shred the city with edge wheel motors will make it hard when it comes to narrow sidewalks and traffic situations.

One thing that an edge wheel 5X setup WILL work for in my opinion is riding in an open spot. Would be great for practicing your freeboarding skills, just speed up the board and practice your 360 spins or jumps.

2 Likes

I think the other issue is if you use hubs those sleeves will not likely last very long. But what about small gear drives :thinking:

1 Like

Today I received the 2 sliprings I ordered. My first impression is that the quality is good. I sawed one open to take a look inside. There are 2 small bearings inside and some simple contacts.

The space it will take in an caster base would be around 5,5cm… I would like a lower profile than that so I got to find a flatter capsule slipring or build one myself.

2 Likes

Damn that is interesting as ffff

1 Like

Received the baseplate/bearing, I think this is going to work really well. Not much space underneath for the electronics so I will probably put it on top.

3 Likes

The slipring electronics on top will be right under the feet. I was looking at those trampa wing kits and they gave me an idea… maybe you can use these or make something similar to get the electronics out of the way :thinking:

Which height are those bearing blocks?

They are 27 mm. KFL 006 Lagerenhet ALU

Never seen these before but that is a great idea.

27 mm is really good! So if I would use it for my project (U-bracket for the wheel and motor) there would be around 30-31 mm under the deck for the caster base… the deck is 8mm? that leaves about 10 - 15 mm of slipring sticking out of the decks topside.

1 Like

How do you plan to attach the U-bracket to the baseplate/bearing in that case?

1 Like

I would make a square plate with a tube welded on it and bolt it to the U-bracket. Or weld te tube directly on the bracket (as in the picture I made). Then bolt it in the bearing block and put a capsule slipring inside.

However… First I’m building the upgraded “bigwheel” SBX with the SR360’s I’ve got (and hope it wil be a good ride :crossed_fingers:… haha). A selfmade caster base would be a next phase…

2 Likes

This is the design I made for the sr360’s… there ordered in stainless steel. Hope to have them in 2 weeks.

2 Likes

I’m down to 157 mm. Think that’s probably low as it gets.

Here’s an updated version of the one-arm caster with belt drive.

2 Likes

gotta stop you all here about that “bearing block”
@Leen

Right as usual, had forgotten those! Maybe some epoxi?