E-Freeboard Freebord Open source Electric Caster

haha the giant 35mm pillow bearing actually arrives today! So I can start refining it’s model.

I have already made a slight change to it…

as you can see here in the max suspension height the motor wants to be in the same place as this bolt flange.

I think a good solution anyone could use would be cutting them off and drilling 4 m4 bolt holes instead of 2 m14 bolts.

I think I only need the 35mm od aluminum tube and the 3D printed bits to assemble something… hopefully I can make a belt i have work lol

1 Like

20200911_152130
ok so as you can hopefully tell this is about as straight as where half our conversations on here go
20200911_141131 (1)
wonky

however they are identically fucked not uniquely

This makes me think that the flaw could be measured and adjusted for.

Will toy around when I get something long with a 35mm od.

2 Likes

Yeah the small ones i got are the same. The bearings are kind of spherical,and you can force the shaft to move . I think it is for missalignment issues when used in pairs.
I am impressed at how much you have thought out your project. Make me feel like i have been winging mine. I hope production will be quick once you received every part.
I feel you about the belts. For fear of delivery delays, i ordered vay too much belts, of varying size. I probably have a dozen belts i will never use. Haha
Unfortunately i had zero time to test ride my board in the past weeks. But i got to ponder things.
Watching all Summerboard clips on Facebook, i noticed that the trucks almost never twist, and there might be less rocker than i tought necessary.
I will try having firmer trucks, and riser pads. Before implementing a thinner wheel. I got tired of scratching the belt pulley on every other turn. But since they make it works with a wide wheel, it must be doable

2 Likes

Yes on my leiftech the truck/hanger movement is not very great and a lot of it is for ride comfort as it supports your weight, the compression allows you to shift a larger amount of weight I think. As the wheels get worn down the comfort gets worse as well.

I’m happy you think the design seems thought out! I’ve been working through very many revisions and I landed on this one that seemed so easy to make that I might as well get started.

By far one of my favorite parts is how the @Boardnamics shoulder bolts were exactly what I needed for the wheel axle and pivot.

I think its uneven so it centers to a specific spot better?

1 Like

I was so mad about the uselessly sideways bearing that I forgot to make an accurate model.

still attempting to figure out what the height should look like and what the suspension clearance should be.

if I want more suspension travel I need to move the motor closer in, so I might want to make my own pillow block for the 6007-2RS (id.35mm/od.60mm) that would be much smaller and allow the motor to be moved in a bit.

I am mostly trying to get the cheapest and easiest to manufacture solution, and I have some ideas on how I would make a more polished system. Smaller, with a gearbox and a outrunner built into the suspension pivot.

are you sure those bearings can take the vertical load ? won’t it dislodge them ?

1 Like

Definitely they are fucking massive

Did you miss the part where it has suspension? The force on that will never be great.

The only reason I went with 35mm id was because I needs to for the 30mm slip ring inside. For the smaller 22mm slip ring I was going to try to use a 25mm id bearing.

Oh yes right ! Smart thinking :+1:
I forgot about the suspension. Which makes me think, it will need to be very strong on the weel, so that it doesn’t slip. I guess it will have to be tuned to your weight doesn’t it ? Find the sweet spot …

I got around to fiddle a bit with mine. I was unhappy about the pulley scratching on the ground. So i am trying to implement a wider wheel, and the pulley close to it. That way i can tilt the board a bit more.

1 Like

I might try a different design, lighter than a steel frame…will see

1 Like

I am finally getting a 3D printer so I have lots of catching up to do!!

Man and a lot of prototyping

Man,
you are in for a treat ! You seem so efficient at 3d design, you will be unstoppable !

1 Like

Yes, first stop mod town for me.

I need structural prints in my life.

2 Likes

So it seemz good, but now it is the motor that sticks out too much im afraid…

1 Like

Could you put the belt drive on the other side of the pillow bearing there? or are those not actually spinning and you use bearings in the the wheel?

I wanted to go for the simplest system, pulley stuck to the wheel, wich turns on its own bearings. In order to get the most yaw possible for the board. By putting the belt drive system away from the wheel you reduce the yaw ability of the board … It hard to get something efficient and compact. Got to find the best compromises

1 Like

what do you think about a freewheeling mechanism for the belt drive?

It seems you want to not be using the the motors power when jumping so coming up to speed then letting the motors become disengaged would work nicely.

fairly easy to add a one way bearing into existing pulley designs.

gears
^
this with a 2 stage also would allow the motor to be offset in your case.

For my design with suspension I think I can combine the suspension pivot with the motors axle shared something like a hub-belt drive.

I think I might be happy enough with the dimensions to proceed with making this prototype. The messed up KFL007 pillow bearings will have to be solved with some shims i think :right_anger_bubble: