All-terrain E-freeboard

Now he’s getting a haircut.

6 Likes

Looks like a mini snowboard to me.

6 Likes

Something like this. The slipring goes in the top pipe. Would love to see some other ideas and sketches for a single arm. Solid or made from square tubing etc. Someone who are really good at modeling could also make a static stress test for the different parts etc.

1 Like

Motor setup.

1 Like

if that is a 50mm motor then that module looks like it would need 200mm of clearance to fit under a deck.
*insert massive center wheel module thoughts.

if just having wheel quick swaps is a major draw… then there could bolts welded to affix a second arm/other side of the caster frame fork. it would be quick to use the same socket tool for 3 bolts, remove the part of caster then wheel off axle. assemble reverse of that, hopefully you have single piece spacers or it would be a pain.

Have what sounds like a big benefit without the crazy engineering needed.

1 Like

Here’s a 60 mm motor.

2 Likes

Great workaround. Making the caster out of squared pipe is still tempting though. I get to weld some more ;D

2 Likes

On topic of bearing support in that pic…

As eluded to in my last comment if only one side is supported quite the serious bending force would be on the 10mm bolt, so carefully reinforcing that mount point would be key. Steel square tubing might just be up to the task, very much worth a test.

The pivot bearing you show there is quite thin, is that a tapered roller bearing?$?$?

Haven’t decided on the bearing and baseplate yet. Found this one in aluminum, fits a 30 mm steel pipe. Couldn’t find a square one in aluminum just steel.

Lager

I see your problem, I’ve been searching the net for something simulair… You want to keep it as low as possible that it doesn’t add up to much under the deck. At the moment I’m looking at wheel hubs with bearings for gokarts etc. Iff I find something usefull I will share.

1 Like

That’s so cool!!! :sunglasses: love it!

2 Likes

I’m at 14 cm now with the 105mm wheels. I’ve added 2,5 cm riser pads under the trucks to correct the rocker.

To be honest, 200mm under the deck is maybe a bit to much? But who knows :v:

1 Like

Out in the wild. On the left: 91 cm freeboard off-road deck with MBS ATS trucks and all-terrain wheels. On the right: 88 cm regular freeboard deck with Summerboard trucks and brassmonkey wheels.

4 Likes

I’m going for 16 cm. Less would be great but hard to accomplish with the 120 mm wheel.

2 Likes

I guess the MBS trucks are a bit wider than the SB trucks?.. I think that will be really good for the offroad/ bigwheel 91cm freebord :+1:

Congrats with the decks!.. I’ve got a 87cm freebord deck to use later on in my project.

Yes, this is a super wide setup. You also need spacers to fit the all-terrain wheel to the trucks.

2 Likes

Just some random idea… maybe put some footpads on for extra comfort? All my other boards have them? :thinking:

1 Like

Nice collection! Why not, I always wanted to try freeboarding with snowboard bindings.

4 Likes

Can the edges of a 5x be electrified, curious what problems this would create.

1 Like

They’re meant more for sliding though right? They may not even be spinning at times.

2 Likes