All-terrain E-freeboard

Yeah I know! Haha… the trucks gona need risers and a wider stance to work.

4 Likes

You want to explain how you are converting the rubber skate bearing wheel into a live axle wheel same as the sbx uses? Basically add shaft fix in place but more detail.

1 Like

To make it work (for now) I’ve ordered a 8mm d-shaft (150mm length) which will fit in the hub that drives the wheel like a normal longboard drive wheel setup. The shaft will be longer on 1 side to fit the wheel gear. I’m still searching for a > 50 teeth gear with 8mm d-shaft to compensate for the bigger wheel I’m using. For now I will use the standard 40t gear of the SB.

My biggest concern I’m thinking of at the moment is when I get it finished; will the SB caster bases hold the extra momentum of the whole thing??? What do you think??? If not than I’ll probably start working on a DIY caster with capsule slipring. I’ve ordered 2 already to toy around with.

Yesterday I finished printing the second caster setup… the rocker was INSANE! LOL Even more than I at first expected… It will definitely need risers / extended trucks or a lower caster base to function normal (bigger edge wheels are also an option, but is not my first choice).

So why I’m doing this?.. I live in the Netherlands and the roads around my block are not great for a normal SB… When I shred around the block with my normal setup SB I have to jump of a couple of times to get around pavement/ coble stones. I can go over but the whole riding experience sucks bigtime! I’ve tested the 105mm wheels on a longboard and it felt so much better! I also ride a onewheel (and soon a floatwheel :grin:) …

As I mentioned before It’s such a great thread here to read… good discussions. I get a lot of answers on stuff I’ve been asking myself about. Thanks Peter and everybody else for your contribution!

And sorry for the long answer… :wink:

3 Likes

1 Like

Love it!

1 Like

I think the caster would hold, they are pretty solid. What kind of slipring did you ordered? Would love to see a future drawing of the DIY caster, I’m currently figuring out the best one for me. Probably going for a one-arm setup to be able to easy switch wheels and diameter. What’s your thoughts about that?

3 Likes

2 Likes

For the DIY caster I would make something like the picture above and mount the slipring in the middle. I like the idea of a more robust/maintance free setup. This example is the wheel-hub of a car that weighs 2,5 kg… so unfortunatly no off the shelf solution yet… haha

I also have been thinking of a single sided swing-arm. You need to make it big enough that it has no bending and in one piece connected to the caster base plate I think. And yes… that would be really nice for easy maintance to the caster wheels and easy wheel switching :grinning:

1 Like

3 Likes

Freshies 4.0 :shushing_face:

With my setup I will be able to test out all skatewheel from 75mm - 115mm. Will need to design/print new hubs everytime… I’m fast with fusion so Noproblemo…

So what are we looking at for now? At this moment I’ve printed everything in Carbon-Nylon abd am waiting for various parts:

• 8mm D-axle
  • M5 95mm bolts
  • Timing belts 88t
  • U-brackets caster => 3mm RVS send cut send
  • Stormcore 60-D
  • Hoyt puck

I also will need a battery… but I’m waiting with ordering one because I got some special plans for that…

2 Likes

Random idea you posting those pics gave me, what if you made a board to test capsule slip ring vs Summerboard sr360 slip ring? So you have both tested the exact same way, on the same board.

Side note those belt covers are not too good apparently there’s some other ones that go on the inside of the belt that may work better.

1 Like

That is a good idea, and than try to keep all other parameters the same so only difference would be the casters. An almost maintanance free caster setup that handels sand and dust better would also be nice. Did you already made some model of the mono swingarm you were thinking about?

Do you have an picture of the belt guards you know are better? My 2 boards have these ones?

1 Like

he really did not want to drill new mount holes lmfao @pete straightshot on FB

rumored to be better, or at least I have seen nothing good about those old ones.

1 Like

Thanks for the pic! Looks good!

2 Likes

The bending of the arm should be the biggest issue here, my thought was to make it from square tubing with some welding to get the right angles and the strength you need.

1 Like

What I meant is they don’t keep things like rocks out of the pulley teeth…
I received some swift karma from this comment anyways

Turns out 6mm shafts could really use a plastic bash guard.

Never even found the pulley.

Hub motors for the win? plus a single side arm castor of course.

3 Likes

Are you also planning for suspension in your design? I’ve been randomly sketching to come up with a design for a mono swingarm with suspension but it’s damn difficult. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That sucks bro!..

First deck in the press. Need some strengthening of the upper steel frame that bent under the 20 ton press. I also moved the springs in the middle to be able to drill two holes from the top mold through the deck to get the centerline and fit the uncut deck into the CNC machine for cutting and drilling.

4 Likes

The Chewbacca blank.

3 Likes