E-Freeboard Freebord Open source Electric Caster

kinda get a look at this homebrew slip ring they have going.

slidejumpslide

#drftb electric freeboard kit prototype! the prototype for this kit that will make a standard freeboard ELECTRIC. dude…

1 Like

30mm in diameter, should fit great in a 2mm wall tube inside the 35mm bearing!

I like that I could run one motor or two with the exact same assembly.

like so

1 Like

ripping this image out of an email was very worth it.

2 Likes

I love your passion for this @Fosterqc

3 Likes

haha the giant 35mm pillow bearing actually arrives today! So I can start refining it’s model.

I have already made a slight change to it…

as you can see here in the max suspension height the motor wants to be in the same place as this bolt flange.

I think a good solution anyone could use would be cutting them off and drilling 4 m4 bolt holes instead of 2 m14 bolts.

I think I only need the 35mm od aluminum tube and the 3D printed bits to assemble something… hopefully I can make a belt i have work lol

1 Like

20200911_152130
ok so as you can hopefully tell this is about as straight as where half our conversations on here go
20200911_141131 (1)
wonky

however they are identically fucked not uniquely

This makes me think that the flaw could be measured and adjusted for.

Will toy around when I get something long with a 35mm od.

2 Likes

Yeah the small ones i got are the same. The bearings are kind of spherical,and you can force the shaft to move . I think it is for missalignment issues when used in pairs.
I am impressed at how much you have thought out your project. Make me feel like i have been winging mine. I hope production will be quick once you received every part.
I feel you about the belts. For fear of delivery delays, i ordered vay too much belts, of varying size. I probably have a dozen belts i will never use. Haha
Unfortunately i had zero time to test ride my board in the past weeks. But i got to ponder things.
Watching all Summerboard clips on Facebook, i noticed that the trucks almost never twist, and there might be less rocker than i tought necessary.
I will try having firmer trucks, and riser pads. Before implementing a thinner wheel. I got tired of scratching the belt pulley on every other turn. But since they make it works with a wide wheel, it must be doable

2 Likes

Yes on my leiftech the truck/hanger movement is not very great and a lot of it is for ride comfort as it supports your weight, the compression allows you to shift a larger amount of weight I think. As the wheels get worn down the comfort gets worse as well.

I’m happy you think the design seems thought out! I’ve been working through very many revisions and I landed on this one that seemed so easy to make that I might as well get started.

By far one of my favorite parts is how the @Boardnamics shoulder bolts were exactly what I needed for the wheel axle and pivot.

I think its uneven so it centers to a specific spot better?

1 Like

I was so mad about the uselessly sideways bearing that I forgot to make an accurate model.

still attempting to figure out what the height should look like and what the suspension clearance should be.

if I want more suspension travel I need to move the motor closer in, so I might want to make my own pillow block for the 6007-2RS (id.35mm/od.60mm) that would be much smaller and allow the motor to be moved in a bit.

I am mostly trying to get the cheapest and easiest to manufacture solution, and I have some ideas on how I would make a more polished system. Smaller, with a gearbox and a outrunner built into the suspension pivot.

are you sure those bearings can take the vertical load ? won’t it dislodge them ?

1 Like

Definitely they are fucking massive

Did you miss the part where it has suspension? The force on that will never be great.

The only reason I went with 35mm id was because I needs to for the 30mm slip ring inside. For the smaller 22mm slip ring I was going to try to use a 25mm id bearing.

Oh yes right ! Smart thinking :+1:
I forgot about the suspension. Which makes me think, it will need to be very strong on the weel, so that it doesn’t slip. I guess it will have to be tuned to your weight doesn’t it ? Find the sweet spot …

I got around to fiddle a bit with mine. I was unhappy about the pulley scratching on the ground. So i am trying to implement a wider wheel, and the pulley close to it. That way i can tilt the board a bit more.

1 Like

I might try a different design, lighter than a steel frame…will see

1 Like

I am finally getting a 3D printer so I have lots of catching up to do!!

Man and a lot of prototyping

Man,
you are in for a treat ! You seem so efficient at 3d design, you will be unstoppable !

1 Like

Yes, first stop mod town for me.

I need structural prints in my life.

2 Likes

So it seemz good, but now it is the motor that sticks out too much im afraid…

1 Like

Could you put the belt drive on the other side of the pillow bearing there? or are those not actually spinning and you use bearings in the the wheel?