E-Freeboard Freebord Open source Electric Caster

yeah i know.
one of the things that will have to endure testing.
I think that wires can reasonnably endure some twisting. i mean that if you hold a bent wire, at a 90°angles ,between your hands, you can roll it between your fingers and transmit the twisting motion along the bend.
Since a rider is probably not going to be constantly be twirling around like a hand-spinner ( I probably won’t ) maybe the wires can endure a complete rotation once in while, to the capsule slipring that will be horizontal along the deck. Most of the times, I assume one is riding kind of like on a regular longboard, or ripstick, where you don’t NEED full rotation…I don’t really know though.
But add you’re idea of a 3d printed cover, at an angle, i think there is something to explore.
nice

2 Likes

People have definitely been where I am before me.

3 Likes

Hey guys.
So, i finally got some time to tinker with the boards ( up really early before the kids)
I discarded the idea of modifying the freeboard, i didn’t want to ruin the trucks, because it’s really fun to ride it as is. So i repurposed an old longboard.
It seems to be working, but the motors and pulleys tend to scrap the ground. so i couldn’t really tell.
i will try to raise the centerwheels but unfortunately I grinded off as much as possible on my steel caster. I might try to put a wedge between the lazy suzan bearing and the caster.

6 Likes

OMG YES!

You’re making my happy ASF :heart_eyes:

I gotta see the motors spin up through those cheap slip rings!

The whole height/ground clearance is one of my main concerns with the design at the moment, still like 2 more months until FB 5X will arrive.

1 Like

there you go. it’s a combo of heavy duty lazy susans, and aliexpress cylindrical sliprings

the more i think about it the more i like the idea of a wedge under the caster, to elevate the JMK wheel. do i make it out of wood, or print it in pla … ?

I’m on the fence about the X5 board. Do i need another one? the wife disagrees…

had I seen those earlier i might have gone with those motors. the lack of power might make it up to the complexity of the belt drive system.

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/4000536793208.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000060.3.28b077f88VoKLx&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.146401.0&scm_id=1007.13339.146401.0&scm-url=1007.13339.146401.0&pvid=7629c798-baa2-4c36-834f-fa110f70bc1c&_t=gps-id:pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller,scm-url:1007.13339.146401.0,pvid:7629c798-baa2-4c36-834f-fa110f70bc1c,tpp_buckets:668%230%23131923%2358_668%23808%234094%23127_668%23888%233325%233_668%232846%238108%23170_668%232717%237562%23457__668%233468%2315617%23804

1 Like

lolz at the module spinning but I was hoping to see/hear the motor spin up. Could you also post a picture of how you got the slip ring + lazy susan all mounted and also how you secured the rotor/wires of the slip ring to the deck?

I will let you know how I feel the 5-X compares to our diy jmk ride setup.

I also considered those exact hub motors basically, and for a time I was planning on testing out the Neohubs in this application but that went down the shitter.

If I see some of those pop up used I will probably try to snag it!

I think hub motors could work pretty good in this use case, don’t have to worry about bad brakes that’s for sure! Not sure what their top speed is on 12S, might be ok.

3 Likes

Gonna take pictures of the whole assembly.
Each motor runs on a 4s lipo battery, and it seems punchy enough. Due to the ground clearance issue, didn’t get to test the drawn current though.
Also, i went downhill without the motors last evening to testdrive the board, and it seems i have missalignment issues

3 Likes

1 Like

Alex that is such an interesting creation I just want to see you rip it once everything is ready.
I’m planning on experimenting with the same slip rings so it’d be nice to have you leading the way!

I was on Facebook doin my thang and I saw someone post this reply to someone who was asking for summerboard to make an off road version.
FB_IMG_1595656171391

Looks pretty dope, I asked for any more information from the person that posted and they didn’t say shit.

Can someone figure out what the company is/was? Or do you think it’s a diy? Looks too well done.

1 Like

Bravo man !! I really mean it !
I thought about this for so ong, I always thought it wouldn’t fit right but man you just went for it and it works !
How much amp can you put through this slipring ?
I don’t really get how did you attach the metal part you made to the lazy susan, could you show a picture of it ?

1 Like

I mean, looks cool but it wouldn’t work, the offroad wheel will have too much grip on dirt to ever drift
You will be able to carve only

1 Like

hey guys ! Thanks for all the kind words !

Ironically i’ve been learning to freeboard for a couple of weeks, and i didn’t realy fall. This morning i went on the onewheel for 10minutes, and seriously fell and f***-up my ankle.

I snaped some pictures about the lazy susans bearings instalation.
I welded some metal to the U steel frame, so they could be bolted on a solid baseplate. One of them is a bit bent, but the tapered holes were not properly aligned. I have some doubt about their longevity with all the radial forces, but we will see.

The sliprings are rated for 30amps. They didn’t blow up yet. I could start from a complete stop the last time i tried. Seems ok.

An offroad board would be a killer. But one would end up being very high above the ground don’t you think

![20200726_201134|690x388]
(upload://fxtLPzfYTqkkynPsoFOtkWr4BJO.jpeg)

1 Like

Hey
So i brought the toys at work tonight. Working the night shift alone.

This afternoon i made a very crude wedge, to improve the ground clearance of the motor

I still need to cut down the flange of the wide wheel pulley.

The motor sits higher, but i now understand why the deck needs to be stiff.

Alignment check

I only forgot one tool, the 10mm socket, and guess which one is needed to properly tighten the motor…
But,It seems to work.
I will need some space to test it, seems sketchy as hell though !!!

I need to install an off/on switch on the battery box, but i’m not sure a standard switch can be soldered on the big power wires. Anyone know how to install one ? Classic lipo/esc/motor/receiver line

2 Likes

nice lol, I’m about to run to ace to exchange the too long bolts I got for my freeboard casters.

Will check this out when I get back!

Also I forgot to show you all the videos I took haha so I’ll have to post those.

This is super cool man, I’m loving the progress.

I am curious about the wires coming through… If you rotate the center wheels however many times, do the phase wires wrap up as well? If so, how are you tackling that? Just planning on not doing too many 360s?

1 Like

Those are the dirt cheap capsule slip rings you can find all over ali.

My new design revision for the E-Caster is built around them, with two versions one for the 21mm diameter and the 30mm diameter variants. Given how well it looks to run on the 3 wire 21mm ones I’m not sure I’ll need the larger one but I still want to test.

Oh nice so they are slip rings designed to rotate… Hmm… Makes me want to build one of these.

1 Like

been there… been there

I really love how much me and @alexincorsica designs have in common, with the flanged bearings and slip rings and such.

I’ll get another video of me riding the non-powered freeboard today after I install these bolts, I can’t wait to strap some electroincs on but it will need some deck repair as it is cracking.

The lazy susan haven’t cause you any problems, with it’s exposed balls ?

2 Likes

On mine the balls are full of dirt and grass but I don’t have any grease to put in them if I cleaned them out, so I’m just saying fuck it for now. They don’t need to rotate smoothly lol it’s free anti-chatter.

sorry didn’t feel like strapping on the gopro last night. Can get some clips today.