E-Freeboard Freebord Open source Electric Caster

I might be using a little too much of the height available at the moment, although height can be added with risers on the casters and trucks.

That is bottomed out, with only 5mm above where the casters ride normally.
This is somewhere of where max extension could be, adjustable in this version.

I have been thinking about how the spring loaded center center will sit with nobody on it, guess it will have one end sticking up kinda like a onewheel lol. Also how you will get on and start going, curious about that.

something like this I would guess

1 Like

Last night I had a great idea to get rid of some parts I don’t like

Should have thought of these before, dirt cheap too.

1 Like

I could get moving on this project sooner if I had a working freebord, I have one with broken casters.

I was looking through the Shark Wheels website and came across these:

A sturdy looking caster with a 8mm shaft and includes the correct spacers for a skate wheel…
That $99 price includes 4 casters and a set of wheels that cost like $50. My main concern about it besides the price is that it includes a 70mm wheel and looks tight so the 72mm JMK Ride wheels might not fit.

So I emailed them to ask if I could buy only two casters without any wheels for hopefully like $25, and about the wheel size that fit.

The reply was to give them a call, I’ll have some answers to my questions.

I guess that caster is available elsewhere like on aliexpress but I just want more info about it for now.

Called them, 72mm wheels fit. Each one is $12, the caster is as strong as it looks he says.

Alright!

Hopefully it isn’t like sub milometer clearance with the 72mm wheels.

Haha I have to order more JMK Ride wheels so I have one for the center caster.

2 Likes

Meant to say:
One of the problems might be the distance the wheel is from the center of the caster rotation axis. You can see here it is measured at about 3in. On both the freebord and leiftech/SBX it is much less like ~1in. One thing to consider is that the both of those design are constrained by fitting the center wheels as wide as possible under the deck so maybe there is not a real problem with this design.

Not really sure how this would affect the ability of the board to make transitions between sliding and returning to center. I feel like most of the control when riding comes from switching between the edges so as long as it can do that you should be good.

Getting rid of the extension springs… Want to try to use compression springs with some 3D printed retainers. This is to match the Freebord 5-X this version is planned to be used on (planning smaller version for Freebord 5/other) also because there is more room for springs on either side of the wheels, and this is where I want the springs pressing anyways.

I asked Shark Wheels for a drawing of the Caster so if they have one I can (easily) make an accurate model with the JMK ride wheel and shiz

glad I have a solid set of 7 bones reds to use in these 3 JMK ride wheels. 1 spare!

1 Like

Oh looks like I can just give up designing because Aniruddha Shembekar here has already done it all for me.
https://grabcad.com/library/simple-caster-wheel-with-shock-absorber-1

Not sure how effective it is but it sure got the look

1 Like

I found a caster that looks more like the one from Shark Wheel, threw the JMK Ride wheel on there.

1 Like

The height is good, less than the freebord so I just need risers to get them to the proper height.

looks like 1mm clearance :worried:

These casters were selected with longboard wheels in mind and these JMK ride wheels are more skateboard sized at 43mm wide.
20200608_164340
I am very tempted to design a 9mm wide belt drive for this caster. Would need a slip ring but whatevvvrr

2 Likes

The best time to request money is… After the product is delivered???

111/100 business practice

2 Likes

it has been assembled. It works!!
(how do you like the hardware I found in my shed? @mmaner) I tried to save all the og hardware but it seems to be hiding.

I went out and gave it a ride, pretty good seems to function properly. The casters need to be moved closer to the hangers as I can’t easily push without the back coming up and failing, have to do a funny hop-skip. Also when throwing it on the ground the casters will chatter very bad and stop, so some 3D printed cam thing like the freebords would be good. It would have to be much larger diameter to fit over the large caster base, not sure if that will work.

Time to finish up a prototype of the E-caster, and hopefully find all the parts for cheap

2 Likes

Looks good. Be carful of this caster frames. They are shaped (cold rolled) I think, so may bend easily.

3 Likes

I don’t have them on there very tight a bolt actually fell out while carrying it back the double nut didn’t work.

I’m not worried about bending the caster it has like 2mm of slop side to side. Hmm I wonder how one of those silicone riser pads would do on the caster :thinking:

2 Likes

It’s been fun to ride! It even works good on sidewalks and on dirt and grass.

2 Likes

hey man
I’m waiting on a 2nd hand freebord to arrive, and i’m thinking about electrifying it.
I plan on doing it the way the guy did his dual motorized ripstick on youtube. with the wires going through the 10mm bolt of the original caster and then to an aliexpress slipring.
inspired by your post I also ordered the JMK ride wheels.
If you get around to designing a pulley that is self centering on those wheels I would greatly apreciate it ! i kinda suck at 3d designing.
cheers
alex

1 Like

For sure I got SW open right now working on a new idea! I just need to take the JMK ride wheels off the freeboard and take better measurements now with digital calipers

1 Like

you’re amazing ! thanks
don’t rush though it’s not an emergency.

1 Like

Looking at pillow block bearings

got me inspired to make a design that is I think more akin to what the gentlemen I found on instagram designed, minus the custom slip ring but I’m thinking about it.

preview of the idea:

For the suspension pivot I’m going back to brushings.

Improvements:

• I think 30mm id is too big/heavy but something like 15mm I would worry about breaking. 25mm may be the sweet spot.
  • I could work a freebord-esque cam into this design easily.
  • Possibly make it removable easily
1 Like

@alexincorsica ok I worked on the JMK ride wheel model and it should be near perfect

JMK Ride wheel 72x43.SLDPRT (415.5 KB)
a 30mm bolt circle might not be perfect I think a 31mm would fit better, so I need to change my pulley model.

1 Like

hey, thanks man
I have to say that a suspended motorized wheel would be amazing, and if removable it would attain perfection.
I will have to wait to receive the board and hardware to really ponder on what i will want to do.
I’m thinking about having two pairs of caster. the original with the freebord wheels to go downhill, and the custom made with Jmk wheels, pulley,motor and belt.
if the “wires going through the bolt” system works out ( instead of the original rivet) i think swapping between the two casters wouldn’t be too complicated.
Of course I expect reality to get in the way.
<< Back to work >> as Mike Patey would say

1 Like

I think I know the mod you are talking about where you cut the pin holding the caster assembly and replace it with a 12mm bolt or whatever, not sure where I saw it.

About the wires through the bolt idea- the capsule slip rings would stick up directly above the casters and that’s kinda where your feet are. Will you just stand wider over them? What’s your plan?

Perhaps you could have the wires go through the center of a RC/3D printed universal joint so the slip ring can be mounted at 45/90 deg and farther inwards from where your feet go. Then have a plastic covering so you can’t step on it, the covering could be part of an extra concave for your feet maybe.