Widening wheel hubs

Some hub 7,5mm to 10mm wide sporting at least 50mm thick urethane or rubber covers (rounded lips a must to avoid chunking) ???

Anybody? …Manufacturers, are you sleeping?

1 Like

I tried every way imaginable, but the gummies you just go diagonal and no problem. And also wet performance, it’s the only urethane wheel I would ride in the rain feeling safe

Someone in Asia transformed his Gummies x rain

14 Likes

Plus you can take deep ass puddles and potholes and shit. 110mm wheels are so last year+useless…

5 Likes

Is time for the rise of the 135mm thick & wide urethane or ruberized wheel !!

(flat contact patch across & rounded lips off course)

5 Likes

Isn’t that kind of what the moe wheels are?

1 Like

Not so much. Not wide enough and thick enough (for our taste). Although they are just there at the edge of the 120mm and up wheels. @MoeStooge states his are the perfect size for street and race. But those are his views. Some of us however, want wider thicker wheels. :yum:

@Skunk

Isn’t that kind of what the moe wheels are?

…plus theres the $375 price tag x a set :cry: not all of us can afford those x now.

2 Likes

So, this is what I came up with, you just need a 3d printed piece, longer screws and a few washers to avoid damaging the plastic

Another idea @rich had is to use some 3D printed pieces to make these hubs compatible with 9" tires, I will try a combination of that and a laser cut steel ring

16 Likes

Thank you for this picture I finally understand how the spacer is working without widening the bearing distance.
I’ve never assembled or takin a close look at trampa hubs.
So the five star piece is going on the inside of the outer Hub rather than the outside of the outer Hub like normal.

3 Likes

Is possible to create a thick rubber cover for this installation, Pedro?

@Skunk yeah, exactly that , my first idea was to make a custom piece like @ducktaperules did, but I realized that just inverting gives the perfect distance

@pixelsilva like the Gummies?

Now we need to find tire that can benefit from it and have off road thread

2 Likes

I wonder how far from the center of the wheel the bearing can go before you get weird speed effects. Beautiful work all around.

1 Like

Yes like the Gummies. But off course the Gummies are urethane and those are expensive to produce. So I was thinking, how about finding a way, or a company, that could produce a rubber cover as wide as your Trampa hub proposal and thick enough for a pleasant ride that should resemble @MoeStooge wheels?

(by thick not only adressing the softer ride but also widening the wheel greater than 125mm Gummies)

1 Like

As long as the Hub is solid you can add quite a bit of dish to a wheel , but it’s going to make more leverage on your axles on hard turns.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if the 106mm outer diameter of the Superstars is enough to hold 9" with a inner hole of 102mm even when you enlarge the inner diameter of the hub to 102mm. That means only 2mm space around :thinking: 9" hubs have a bigger outer diameter.

@Venom121212, I think it would never happen without going some crazy width that doesn’t exist tires for, since the bearing distance of the original wheel is kept, the rigidity would be the same

As I said what can happen it to bend the axle, imagine a really square tire and you are on V shaped terrain, only the outer edge of the tires are touching the ground, the wider the tires the more moment there is on the axles

@pixelsilva sure, just let me know what diameter and I can just resize the Gummies, maybe @Benjamin899 can give input

@rich so as you said, if the inner diameter is 100 mm and the outer 110 mm it should hold?

Yes above 1.2 bar (or 1.5) something like that.

I have 5" rubber “offroad” wheels for longboard trucks. The rolling resistance is so massive that they brake when going downhill, they are really useless.

2 Likes

Please add two little half circle “ears” to blank out the original valve hole.

2 Likes

I think this will hold, the difference for the 9" tires is really small

And will look really cool having a different color band between the rim and the tire

16 Likes

While we’re at it, internal wheel balance weights please!

3 Likes

What do you guys use as weights?