Widening wheel hubs

I like where this is going reminds me of beauty rings on old cars.
I wonder if this would work on Rockstar Pros to fit a 9 inch wheel

5 Likes

Currently nothing or balance beads AFAIK, but adding weights to the outer perimeter of your balance ring makes so much sense!

2 Likes

I use adhesive automotive tire weights

2 Likes

@Skunk definitely, maybe with some tweaking, but I don’t know if they are wide enough

@malJohann @Venom121212 so as it is is fine?

2 Likes

Here we go guys. Prototype time.

These spokes keep the plastic part strong. Then the metal spokes press fit in to support the weight of the wheel.

This then gets wrapped in the standard mega star hub parts.

Then finally the spacers go in and other set of spokes goes on the back.

Don’t forget the rubber

Got a bit of a chub on

Tread looks much wider. Will go out to the garage and do a side by side in a bit.

How’s it look?

16 Likes

Made a lip to center the tire

8 Likes

Sure, just a ramdom thought on my end thinking we can have balancing that’s integrated and not stuck on to the hub.

4 Likes

I’m not sure built in balancing would work cuz all Wheels aren’t imbalance exactly the same

1 Like

Personal opinion, for it’s to be worth we need wider tires, I’m searching for them

But the spacer look great

@malJohann once I test fit it, I can add some place to put some big screws

@Skunk I think he meant only the place to add weights, not the weight itself

3 Likes

Oh okay. Lol

3 Likes

Correct, which is also out of sight.

2 Likes

Not necessarily, even automotive tires are made to fit multiple widths of rims. slightly changing the contact patch and profile of the overall Tire.
This is essentially doing the same thing. While there might be a more optimal tire to use, you’re still getting a larger contact patch out of the same rubber tire.

5 Likes

@rich

I have 5" rubber “offroad” wheels for longboard trucks. The rolling resistance is so massive that they brake when going downhill, they are really useless.

So how @MoeStooge wheel does it then? :roll_eyes::thinking:

2 Likes

Yeah, but for that sick look that I’m after the tire needs to be wider than the hub :grin:

I don’t remember whose this board is, but I want something like that, if only MBS made it easy for international customers

But i just remembered that Trampa has the nem 9" tires, and I will get truck and bindings from them anyway

@Trampa Hey Frank, how wide are the new 9" tires? Is the 2.5" measurement on your page the total width?

3 Likes

@pixelsilva sure, just let me know what diameter and I can just resize the Gummies, maybe @Benjamin899 can give input

I mean, the width is already good with the middle 3D printed ring, so now the question maybe how thick it should be? Off course I’m thinking something thicker than the actual Gummie thickness which is awful. So thicker than that; double of that if is possible

Don’t know how you can achieve that, thou (??) Was thinking on rubber covers like how @MoeStooge does it. Whats your idea? Urethane covers?

To be honest I have no idea how they should be made

The problem with the Gummies is not the thickness of thane, it’s that while its soft, it has low rebound, so it appears to be hard

2 Likes

Here we go guys. Prototype time.

These spokes keep the plastic part strong. Then the metal spokes press fit in to .upport the weight of the wheel.

This then gets wrapped in the standard mega star hub parts.

Wow!! This tread is flying a supersonic speed!! Custom adaptation is happening boys!!:metal::grinning:

Love when these things become a reality!:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

11 Likes

A few more tire candidates

This ones looks perfect, not rounded but also not square contact patch, should give a great consumption, a bit expensive

Another one that could work, but does not appear a great off road performer, and the wide contact patch will suck the batteries dry

Another great candidate, may be the same as the first one

This for more road focused board

5 Likes

Is like Frank came up with a great idea but fell short adapting their hub for urethane use with thin sleeves. Gummie was killed before the start.

2 Likes

…plus the hard compound you just mentioned. Thin and hard as marble. :nauseated_face: