Ways to increase turn w/o increasing lean

Meh. My board works perfectly fine for my 165lbs ass. I don’t think I wanna change anything atm lol

1 Like

Brad has some interesting insights on the “bushing help” thread regarding split angle trucks… worth the read!

4 Likes

I am not sure if this respect the parameters of the question… this will turn and doesn’t require leaning. But at speed i think it will be really dangerous.

5 Likes

100% does. Haha. That looks like a deathtrap. A fun deathtrap.

Personally I feel like lean and turn are intrinsically tied together on current skateboard designs. Learning to use lean to your advantage at speed is part of improving your riding ability

If anything, having a board that has the ability to lean further while maintaining stability increases my ability to turn at high speed. Kinda the exact principle behind channel trucks.

5 Likes

It’s fun analog definitely needs some getting used to. But electric… man I think it’s scary.
image image

1 Like

It also looks like it puts you on par with OneWheelers & EUCs in terms of looking like a complete nard.

5 Likes

Yep definitely looked cooler in my mind when I bought it about 10 years ago. Ride a few times and realized it was extenuating got back to regular skateboard :sweat_smile::joy::joy:.

1 Like

It is hard to tell if I am needed here…If so, someone please articulate what is needed and I will try to help.

5 Likes

Tl;dr - What bushings should we use if we’re turning using water bottles

:rofl:

7 Likes

Nope.

3 Likes

I am doing my best to ignore the water discussion

12 Likes

Increase precision and reduce turning slop is really the only other way.

Deck width, axle width, and truck type don’t don’t affect the relationship between lean angle and steering angle.

1 Like

Truck type (RKP vs TKP) does affect the relationship between lean angle and steering angle.

4 Likes

unnamed (2)
No matter what you do your board at those speeds it comes down to mostly physics and the riders skills.

1 Like

Is there a baseplate angle where RKP becomes TKP, or is it the lean-turn progression curve being different between the two?

2 Likes

On a RKP, the pivot axis and the king pin axis are perpendicular to the axle path so the axle scribes a straight line when watching from the side of the board. On the other hand a TKP, the pivot axis and the king pin axis are NOT perpendicular so the axle scribes an arc or an ellipse that is dependent on several factors that are difficult to predict

9 Likes

Without derailing the topic too much is there a correlation between the length of the deck and turning ability, logic says I should be able to turn tighter on a shorter deck, but experience has been the opposite my sweet spot is around 38".

Yes. Same reason your car turns tighter than a limousine. Shorter base, tighter radius.

1 Like

You answered my question I am not a
Taking stabilty into account. Just because a short deck can turn tighter at speed doesnt mean you should.

Shortening the distance between two otherwise identical truck setups (a.k.a. smaller wheelbase) does in fact increase the turn without increasing the lean.

5 Likes