Ways to increase turn w/o increasing lean

The easiest way to get more turn is to loosen your trucks. The second easiest is to take softer bushings, or to change for example from double barrel to barrel/cone. But all these options are increasing lean too. A better way to obtain more turn without getting more lean would be to take a base plate with more angle, or to get positive rake in your hanger. Are there other possibilities to get more turn, without sacrificing too much stability? I think a wider deck should have also a positive effect on turn? What about the hanger width? A TKP and DKP should have under the same circumstances also more turn than RKP?

1 Like

Bindings should help too :sweat_smile::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Bindings might help you not be able to make a controlled fall if something goes awry LoL

They should not change the lean/turn ratio though, theoretically.

Although theoretically, short hangers don’t turn more than long ones, but ride both and you’ll almost certainly believe they do. So maybe sometimes theory is not everything…

7 Likes

Bindings are awesome for off road but can be scary on road.
They don’t change the lean/turn ratio but they allow you to lean more at lower speeds.

8 Likes

They definitely allow you to lean further than you can without them, thus turning harder.

3 Likes

Right, but read thread title :laughing:

6 Likes

eat 20 doughnuts a day

25 Likes

I’d like to see less sneaking around corners and trying to pass and more high speed laps. Has anyone spent time on a track with berms? Not sure I’ve even seen go kart sized tracks like that. Not off dirt at least.

Where you can keep speed and rip through turns.

I suppose what I’m thinking about is a large pump track without the pumps.

1 Like

Wedge the trucks with angled risers OR move the trucks closer together

2 Likes

Wedging has the same effect like a higher angle BP or did I misunderstand something?

2 Likes

Yes same except it also increases ride height

1 Like

Does an increased ride height increase turn without increasing lean?

1 Like

maneuverability and high speed stability are basically opposites.

Bushings, bindings etc will effect lean. A lot of which, gets left unused because of clearance, balance and desire for stability in component selection. A wider board makes it easier for you to apply the lean, but doesn’t change the geometry.

Geometry changes that will help turning come from angled risers or new Baseplates. 50/50 is a good starting spot. I run 50/45 well up to 30mph on a short deck fine.

Then again, if turning is your priority and speed is under 30, TKP trucks may be your best option

2 Likes

Two words : Kick Tail

giphy (10)

3 Likes

I am fine with 45/45 DKP up to 30mph but I want to feel safe at 40mph. I have a 35/45 TKP setup for that. Next I will try 45/45 and 45/50. With MBS Matrix II yellow/yellow I feel fine at 40mph on a long deck. Im looking now to finde a way to get an carvy yet stable setup. I think rake and split angle could be the solution. But there are so many different setups in bushings, BPs, Hangers, etc. It’s really not that easy.

2 Likes

Is that not one word? :thinking:

4 Likes

Sideways side ways
Meh idk what words like this are called

3 Likes

Far out I was thinking the same way then I saw you were talking in miles. I never want to go 40M/h i was filling my pants at 57km/hr (36M/hr)

2 Likes

57km/h I went with my hub AWDs on sleeves :smiley:

But that’s not the topic. I’m just wondering how I can increase turn without lean in the best way.

1 Like

Fabi was showing a esk8 with active steering on his youtube channel. Looked good but he did mention stability issues at faster speeds.

2 Likes