TorqueBoards Direct Drive Motor Kit

Thanks for the recommendations. I will find the proper cables. I realized after posting that I will also need a XT90 parallel adapter and a servo cable - so I may as well track down a proper can bus cable too.

@torqueboards has all the parts to fulfill your eskating needs! And boy do they ship fast!
https://diyelectricskateboard.com/collections/electrical-connectors

Gimme dat VESC6

3 Likes

Love this, been waiting forever for this product to reach the market. Where are we at, can we buy soon?
Like Natch mentioned, it’s not up on the site yet…

@Wizeartz get it here in stock ready to ship https://diyelectricskateboard.com/products/torqueboards-direct-drive-motor-kit

1 Like

@torqueboards , Sorry if this has already been asked, I searched around and could not find it. When programming the vesc, what value should be put in for “motor poles”? Is it 14 like a normal outrunner?

1 Like

If you mean the AT+TBDD I think is better to wait to a lower kv TBDD version…

You should read this post:

And this one:

@BenjaminF 28

6 Likes

I wanted to add a followup about the motors now that I have them working. I did the sensible thing on the recommendation of @BillGordon and set up 2 VESC 4.12s instead of trying to use a production board ESC. I am happy to report that the Torque Board Direct Drive motors are running beautifully in FOC now!

The wide stance and 110mm wheels are taking some getting used to, but the massive gobs of power, stability and comfort while riding are remarkable. We have rough roads in Tempe, AZ - mostly riddled with pot holes, uneven concrete, rocks and metal sewer plates. I tested out the direct drive board for the first time on my morning commute today and it felt like riding on a silent thundercloud. This setup with the proper bushings and cups reminds me of snowboarding on fresh powder. Thanks TB!

10 Likes

Quick update, been rocking the 75Kv drives for about 2-3 months now. Loving them.

The true Kv is closer to 70 so I get about 30-25mph over the SoC (really want to go 12s in the summer, but idk if i want to go from 10s4p --> 12s3p). After a few hundred miles the drives are properly broken in and my motors seem to be starting up smoother. I was able to lower the sensored --> sensorless erpm transition from 10,000 --> 7,000 without cogging. Running 60 motors amps and 60 battery amps on my “Pro” mode on Unity w/metr @10s. Running 80a motor and 80a battery on “Ludicrous” mode.

The TB110’s are perfect. I have really nice roads so it actually feels like carving on a snowboard it’s so smooth. Compared to hub motors… pfft it’s not even close in terms of comfort, power, and stability.

My only concern is my consumption. With no kick pushing and cruising at 25mph+ I’m getting about 24Wh/mile. I would be curious to what others are getting. I don’t think my motors have cracked 80˚C yet.

4 Likes

This consumption doesn’t look bad for the speeds you are cruising

1 Like

Buddy of mine has this problem where the adaptor is not the same size as the core abec pattered. Anyone else experience this?

3 Likes

Me too.

I usually get 10/12Wh/km cruising at this speed, but kick pushing a bit from dead start on a 12s5p.

1 Like

Standard TBDD vs. XL TBDD

12 Likes

new variant?

1 Like

Yeah I’m gonna need some context for these and some details on the TorqueBox.

1 Like

Same here. @McErono Enlight us !!

These big ones are a one off according to Dexter. The smaller ones are first batch versions without temp sensors and C-clip on the inner side of the big bearing.

They feel similar in strength but the big ones stay cooler I guess.

2 Likes

So the Standard were the 6355 vs the XL 6374 (which TB DD owners have) ?
I thought TB were about to release 6396 60KV, that would have been epic :wink: and scary for my wallet…

1 Like

afaik my standard ones are the 6374, 6355 were prototypes only. the XL is bigger than 6374.
I chose 75kv for the big ones. I don‘t think Dexter has plans to sell them offically.

3 Likes