The Long Story | 12s3p | Custom CF+FB enclosure | Landyachtz BattleAxe 40" | Unity | 6384 190KV

This is technically my very first build. Creating a build thread has always been an intimidating idea to me. I started this build as a broke college student and made improvements as my income increased. I’ve built and rebuilt this board too many times to remember and @Brently can attest :rofl:

SPECS

Deck: Landyachtz Battle Axe 40"

Wheels: TB 110’s, previously ABEC107’s

Trucks: TB 218’s

ESC: Unity

Battery: DIY 10s4p VTC6

Motor Mounts: @Janux-esk8 Enclosed belt-drive without the cover.

Motors: 6374 170kv bought off some dude says he got it in a group buy

Enclosure: Custom carbon fiber and fiberglass vacuum formed by @Broly ( think that’s his username, met him IRL)

Other features: 18W Single bar-shaped headlight wirelessly controlled via garage door opener, RGB LED strip underglow with remote, GPS tracking module, and Metr Pro Unity

Speed bumps make me sad

I run my motors at 80A each and my battery discharge limit is set to 60A. With the gearing it has now the measured top speed is 33mph. Previously it was 39mph when I had a much smaller wheel pulley on, also measured at the central park loop.

History

Below are some of the progress pics from when I was too broke for real parts. I was using those long 4.12 Vescs TB still sells. Then I burned a couple of flipsky’s and finally got a Unity. My old enclosure was an Ikea kitchen drawer divider.

Look familiar?

Me with my prize for winning the costume contest (my board fits the boosted back somehow)

!

Crash video for fun

Conclusion

I just wanted to thank those in the NYCEBOARDING group that helped me along the way. Without them, I would have quit 3 fried ESC’s ago. I just purchased a Hoyt puck with our logo engraved as a tribute.

edit: More and better pics

18 Likes

It was very nice to see you go from struggle board to fancy boi

Nice work homie!

Edit - I do believe the big homie Joe and NërdTalk deserves a shout out for this board too I can’t find Joes handle since he’s not on here much

I can be a stand-in Joe if you want to thank me instead.

1 Like

Yeah they totally do deserve a SO! Joe hasn’t made an entrance to the forum yet so I won’t @him

1 Like

Ah Ha! So you’re the reason I want to build a Battle Axe! I saw a pic of your board somewhere, facebook or Reddit maybe, and haven’t been able to forget the look since. I think LY has discontinued the 40 and only makes 38" now tho. Love the build dude glad to see you posting about it! Maybe I’ll get there one day.

1 Like

Thanks! I would love to see your future builds

2 Likes

UPDATE

The battery is getting old and only charges to 40.5V :upside_down_face:

I decided to build a 12s3p 40T pack to replace the 10s4p VTC6 unit inside currently.

Got the p-groups done today

EDIT

I forgot to mention I got rid of the TB218’s and got myself some SR RKP trucks slightly used from @Arzamenable

EDIT2

I’m done with the battery, gonna install it tonight I hope.

11 Likes

Dude, I’m using the exact same welding pen lmfao. How you liking it?

1 Like

It’s a bit too small for my hands. But by the time my hand starts to hurt the wires get too hot so it works out lol

Beautiful low design :star_struck:

1 Like

Thanks man! It does wonders for stability!

Wow!!! What happened? Phase wire short or something? I came here to look at pictures of your battery, but it looks safe and built with best practices. :confused:

Yeah battery was not involved.

Exactly. And it set my enclosure on fire. I was using the default bullet connectors on the unity :confused:

The board (other than the unity, which is fried) is 98% okay! Just need to solder new bullets on the motor and drop my recently purchased (while waiting for the J train) 60D in its place. Pics of the “damage” below

6 Likes

cray cray!

She’ll be back up and running tonight!

5 Likes

Hows it been on the 60D?

I guess it probably hasn’t seen many rides over the winter,
would love to see more bout this board tho!

1 Like

I love the deck shape.

1 Like

Yup :confused: the little I rode it was fine. I absolutely need to get a hoyt receiver in this thing asap

Thanks bro! The entire build was conceived around that deck. I cracked the first one (many years ago) and this is now the 2nd.

Also I just realized I never updated this with the swap done. I guess because I don’t find an esc swap very interesting. Anyways this is her next to her siblings

4 Likes

Cyboard looks pretty rideable in that pic :eyes:
You got all the electronics set in there yet or na

3 Likes

Its been a million years but I feel like I need to update. This board is getting OLD but still runs perfectly! The only update I have parts wise is these wheels from @TheGoodMomentum . So far I LOVE THEM. My more details thoughts are in his product thread. I’ll link it later if I remember

15 Likes