TB110 72A : Wobbles

Do your Torqueboards 110mm Blue wheels wobble like this?

When I asked Torqueboards about this they first said it was my bearings, so I bought a new set of Bones Reds, installed them and had the same result. Then they said it was my DD motors causing the wobble, not the wheels.

8 Likes

Its possible that the bearing or bearings are not seated correctly. That could be a bad spacer, something in the wheel core keeping the bearing from seating correctly like trash or a deformity. Its also possible that the wheel is malformed, but I’d look for other causes first since you can fix them yourself.

1 Like

Shouldn’t the core wobble as well if the bearing not seated correct?

On the video the visible part of the core doesn’t seem to wobble in my eyes.

2 Likes

I thought the same thing at first, but the core is actually spinning slightly out of true. That becomes amplified the further out from the center you move.

2 Likes

The only thing I havent tried is a different spacer. I have to get some…

In the mean time can you see if the motors are wobbly or is the urethane wobbly?

1 Like

I cant be sure from the video. I would try a spacer replacement, look closely at the bearing seat of the wheel and make sure there isn’t a foreign body causing the bearing to not seat fully. Its likely that one of those is the cause.

You can also try swapping another wheel onto that motor and see if the issue persists.

The bearings were really hard to press in. Otherwise, I cant have foreign debris on 3 of the 4 wheels, they were brand new out of the cello, the bearings, all 16 of them were also new.

The motor, at least in this small clip, indeed looks like it’s wobbling at the truck. No bearing will have such tolerances that would allow this level of wobbling out of center.

EDIT: The wheel tho. Oh lord the wheel.

It’s out of center issue, not a bearing issue for sure.

All I’m trying to do is help fix it so you can ride, these are things that you can either rule out or fix. If you swap in another wheel and it still wobbles, then it is likely a motor issue. If you swap in another wheel and it doesn’t wobble, its an issue localized to the wheel.

I have seen wheels do this in the past. It is typically an issue with the wheel, but I have sen wheels wobble because of a piece of plastic getting in between the seat and the bearing, I’ve also see this happen when someone tried to sand down a spacer to shorten its length causing the bearing to sit out of center.

Its absolutely possible that its a bearing and/or spacer issue.

5 Likes

Mine don’t. Can you do a vid focusing more on the core when spinning?

The way the wheel wobbles is not a smooth progression and the core is stable… definitely the urethane

5 Likes

I have had another Labeda-produced wheel of mine do something similar to that. Instead of wobble, that part at the end of the wheel where you can see the mold line was slightly eccentric from the rest of the urethane. They’re quality wheels but mistakes still get made here and there.

3 Likes

Have you checked that wheel specifically on the front axle and see if it still exhibits the same behavior?

Another vid centred on the core:

2 Likes

Yes, I moved them from front axle to the DD axle. The same 3 wheels wobble no matter where they are installed. I have to buy new spacers and try it all again.

3 Likes

Its prolly the wheel, I would still try new spacers and try that though. Do you have access to an arbor press?

Welp, I’m convinced.

No, I dont.

1 Like

Apparently Dexter wasn’t.
Thanks to all of you who commented. Beats being ignored by the vendor.

5 Likes

As long as you prove that it is in fact the wheel.

We got a new set of wheels for you. Send us an email.

8 Likes