Summerboard SBX Supermod

I wanted a more reliable summerboard so I replaced as many of the stock parts as possible. Still a work in progress.

Parts:

• Stock SR360 caster.
  • boardnamics 270 hanger. No more wheelbite! better carve!
  • torqueboards baseplate. No more broken baseplates!
  • Xenith v2.1 ESC. Hopefully no more overheating!
  • Hoyt Puck remote. Stock remote is trash!
  • 12s3p. Finally a battery that Isn’t build like shit!
  • Orangatang fat free 65mm 77a blue. Better grip/rocker then stock wheels
  • Orangatang bushing hard. Better carve! Less speedwobble!
  • Freebord chaos maple 83cm. Quality deck that doesn’t start cracking the moment you step on it!
  • Tomiboi Ratcheting Toe-clips. Hopefully an improvement over stock bindings
  • MEIJIA waterproof hardcase.

weight 24lbs. sock weight 18lbs

16 Likes

Looking fwd to riding video!

2 Likes

top make it fully top end wait for the restock of the new nylon castor slip ring bases… statoraid??? lmao

1 Like

yeah I know they made new u-brackets aswell. I was also thinking about upgrading the motors but that would require cutting away some of the mount in order to fit longer motors.
you know if anyone has tried that yet?

1 Like

Nope nobody tried. The thing I think someone might try getting higher KV motors to break some bones top speed records. That would require no hardware mods besides the motors.

2 Likes

My SBX wont power on so I’m going the same route as you with a DIY build. Trying to decide on a esc now. Why did you go with 2 MAKERX minifoc plus rather than a dual drive esc? (I’m just learning about DIY esk8 building so excuse my ignorance)

2 Likes

you can use a dual esc as well. my reason for using the makerx is i already had one left over from another project that didn’t work out so rather than buy new dual esc I decided to just get a second makerx. the makerx also is very compact with is why I got it in the first place.

If your sbx is in warranty then you might be able to just send it in for repair. Summerboard support doesn’t like to honor there warranty so you might have to fight with them alittle but that’s honestly way easier then going the diy route.

2 Likes

It’s out of warranty, I would rather upgrade it with better parts that I can source myself without waiting on SB. Should be easier to diagnose and fix any future problems also.

I ordered the MakerX dual drive, Hoyt st, and figuring out what to do for a battery

2 Likes

I’m using a 10s2p right now since that’s what I have on hand. I’m thinking about upgrading to either a 12s2p or 12s3p. the 10s battery works but its noticeably more sluggish then 12s.

1 Like

First video of the build in action.

7 Likes

Super great riding!!!

Color us impressed.

Long term reliability proves itself I sure hope.

1 Like

The battery was the biggest issue with the stock sbx. This “new” battery is a champ. I have had since 2019 and it still outperforms the a new sbx battery in range.

2 Likes

I am finally getting a sbx battery to tear down.

Maybe it can be fixed up… I will try.

I will hopefully join you with a broken SBX soon enough.

Still on only Leiftech Casters.

yeah my leiftech casters were the nail in the coffin for an otherwise perfectly working V2. the casters on the sbx are alot better they lasted me a year with no issues. they are the only part of the stock sbx that I can trust even slightly.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, I’m thinking about doing changing the battery ESC and remote etc. Just curious, have you tried going uphill? I’m thinking from the original 12s => 10s there could be a downgrade on the torque power? I’m a newbie on DIY esk8. I’m trying to solve the problem on the unreliable battery issue and also I feel like the braking system is not reliable when the battery is 50% or lower. I love climbing hill and going downhill with this board so I’d want to fix this issue

2 Likes

Torque can definitely be affected if you dropped the voltage a lot. The actual torque is coming from the amps though so you could have the exact same or even more torque at a lower voltage as long as you changed the VESC controller settings.

The motor and battery are not the theoretical limit on torque it’s only the controller then heat dependent.

The belt and center wheel traction on bad roads is your limit.

2 Likes

Yes the current battery is a downgrade in speed and torque. The reason I am using it is mostly because I already had it siting there from another build its also more reliable and has better range than summerboard. I will be upgrading it to a 12s3p of molicel cells for best performance.

2 Likes

You willing to let me pay you to make me a battery pack or fill me in on how I can do it myself.

1 Like

The battery builders club

It’s a quick read you can knock it out in an hour /S

Ok serious answer.

[WIKI] Trusted Battery Builders (Serious)

The jem you are more looking for is the enclosure. You could print your own and fiberglass that.

1 Like

Would I not be able to use the current SBX battery pack enclosure for the rebuild?

2 Likes